• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Late HOA Fee charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bali Hai Again

In other words, you enter into a contract to have a service performed with prompt payment expected, and then, after the other party fulfills their part of the contract, you breach yours.

EDIT: I totally get why you do it, and I don't even blame you particularly...I'm just restating what you're doing ;)
When I get a bill 6 months after a medical procedure that was represented to be paid by my insurance, I need time to contact the insurance and have them investigate the matter with the biller. In fact I had no responsibility to pay that bill. These things take time. If the biller waits 6 months to send a bill that I am responsible for, they can wait another 3 or 4 months to get paid in full.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
When I get a bill 6 months after a medical procedure that was represented to be paid by my insurance, I need time to contact the insurance and have them investigate the matter with the biller. In fact I had no responsibility to pay that bill. These things take time. If the biller waits 6 months to send a bill that I am responsible for, they can wait another 3 or 4 months to get paid in full.
I get it :)

quincy

Since there are usually no interest or late payments associated with medical bills, I make them wait 3 or 4 months before I pay the ”full amount” from the time they sent the bill demanding “payment in full”. There is a lot of sabre rattling on their part during that period. The medical profession is very efficient at billing and double billing.
Certainly there are arguments for and against paying promptly when you receive a bill with no explicit due date. Medical bills are frequently referred to collections, however, when the bills are ignored for too long.

Whether the association will take any action against draco for not paying the association fees in a timely manner has already been established. Late fees were assessed. He will want to avoid late charges in the future by learning exactly how the association billing works.

Trying to get excused/refunded the late charge he did receive is probably best resolved through continued negotiations with the association.

LdiJ

It is called “due on receipt” but that simply means you are expected to mail the payment or initiate a form of payment on that date.

The following link is to an Intuit Quickbooks article about “due on receipt” billing (this is not an endorsement, just a good explanation):

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/r/invoicing/invoice-due-upon-receipt/

Have you never received a medical office bill like that?
That is not the same as a bill being due the same day it is dated.

draco

Thanks for the info and suggestions.

Yes, I intend to pay the late fee and make sure I pay earlier from now on.

The bill or reminder doesn't say "due upon receipt" or anything like that. I still need to go through the HOA contract.

We're having an HOA meeting soon. I'll try to get a minute with one of the board members and ask them about it. Give me a chance to also mention that the new representative from the management company that handles our Association is bad at responding to emails and questions.

quincy

The bill or reminder doesn't say "due upon receipt" or anything like that. I still need to go through the HOA contract.

We're having an HOA meeting soon. I'll try to get a minute with one of the board members and ask them about it. Give me a chance to also mention that the new representative from the management company that handles our Association is bad at responding to emails and questions.
I think speaking with the HOA board members at the Board meeting is the best way to get the clarification you seek. Good luck.

Bali Hai Again

Another thing you might want to verify is that ACH withdrawals from your account take 2-3 business days. Using “bill pay” is actually an ACH withdrawal and will take the same amount of time. At least that is true for my bank.

quincy

Another thing you might want to verify is that ACH withdrawals from your account take 2-3 business days. Using “bill pay” is actually an ACH withdrawal and will take the same amount of time. At least that is true for my bank.
Scheduling payments well in advance of the due date is wise and advised.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">