• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laws for non-custodial to help w/ car purchase?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

maniacal

dang, you spongy CP's need to just quit asking us to pay for crap and pay for it yourselves! You are the mother, and that is your job! You wanted to keep the kids and you suck of the father and you take our money but all you want is more. Let him drive yours! If you want the dad to buy a car, let him live with the dad and let the dad pay for the kids and buy the car. stop asking for the court ordered, tax free welfare from the other parent. you mothres think that you can just keep on taking from us.
as far a legal help...waste more child support on an attorney so he can pay his child support. he'll tell you no, too after you pay him,

weenor

Ohiogal said:
Your son needs to buy his own car. NO kid needs a car at college. I never had one and there were still buses available if I wanted to leave campus. if he is living with you, suggest a bus or he get a job. OMG? A job? No court will make your ex buy the son a car. Good grief.

Ohio- you just posted what I was thinking....I certainly hope that this is the only thing like this she has tried to extort for the kid...cause otherwise the kid is BIG trouble.

nextwife

You know, my brother is VERY affluent (and still married to his HS sweetheart), and his kids do NOT have cars at college! I didn't have one either.

mb94

Many schools don't even let Freshmen bring cars onto the campus because of limited parking. I know my school only had 500 parking passes but 5000 students. I know many people who bought bikes since they were easier to get around with (and easier to park).

If he wants a car at 18 he needs to work and buy it. You can help if you want but there's no reason Dad should pay for it unless he wants to. Besides, if the kid isn't working who do you expect to pay for gas, insurance, and repairs?

LdiJ

Ohiogal said:
Your son needs to buy his own car. NO kid needs a car at college. I never had one and there were still buses available if I wanted to leave campus. if he is living with you, suggest a bus or he get a job. OMG? A job? No court will make your ex buy the son a car. Good grief.
Ok...while I agree with you in principal (I lived on campus and took the bus or walked until I was a senior and got a "beater"...and was never in better physical shape, EVER)...things are a bit different now than they used to be for alot of kids.

Lots of kids go to commuter colleges so that they can avoid the added, extra costs of living on campus. They live at home and that reduces costs enormously. However, in many places that means that they really do NEED a car.

For example, my daughter plans to attend a college in our city. From our house to campus its 20 minutes by car. Our city doesn't have a good public transportation system. During the day she could get there by bus....but it would take about two hours altogether....and if she had any late classes (a class that got out after rush hour) there would be no way for her to get home. So yeah...she is going to need a car. Hopefully the one she has will last. It runs good but it has almost 200k miles on it.

The added costs of her living on campus would be much greater than a modest car payment, gas and insurance....but we hope to avoid the car payment.

So....I am not sure that its SO outrageous for a cp to ask if its possible to get an ncp to assist with that....unrealistic...but not necessarily outrageous. If the kid is going to be living on campus then its outrageous.

StarsMoon

Lol... Lol....

baystategirl said:
I think the OP's question was " is there a "law" for the non-cus parent to help with the purchase of a car..."

My answer is...OMG...you've got to be kidding!:eek:

Now that's too funny....:D :D
Sorry no legal advice..... But I have to laugh....;)

StarsMoon said:
Now that's too funny....:D :D
Sorry no legal advice..... But I have to laugh....;)
:D :D I agree. If there were such a law all of our kids would be driving and we would be asking the kids for rides.:eek:

StarsMoon

outragedMOM said:
:D :D I agree. If there were such a law all of our kids would be driving and we would be asking the kids for rides.:eek:
I agree...LOL I've seen my SS drive on Playstation**************
I'll just say... There ain't no way in h*ll I'm getting in that car....:D
LOL.... Gimme the bike anyday....:p

N

nicetryadmin

Carmendarez said:
What is the name of your state? TX

I have an 18yr old son. I would like to buy him a car and I just cant afford it right now. Should i hire an attorney to make his father help. He will need one when he graduates this may and goes to college.
Haha...this is funny. Tell your 18-year-old ADULT to get a freaking job and save. It's called responsibility.

And for you, as a parent, who thinks Dad has any legal obligation, get a freaking clue, girl.

N

nicetryadmin

LdiJ said:
Ok...while I agree with you in principal (I lived on campus and took the bus or walked until I was a senior and got a "beater"...and was never in better physical shape, EVER)...things are a bit different now than they used to be for alot of kids.

Lots of kids go to commuter colleges so that they can avoid the added, extra costs of living on campus. They live at home and that reduces costs enormously. However, in many places that means that they really do NEED a car.

For example, my daughter plans to attend a college in our city. From our house to campus its 20 minutes by car. Our city doesn't have a good public transportation system. During the day she could get there by bus....but it would take about two hours altogether....and if she had any late classes (a class that got out after rush hour) there would be no way for her to get home. So yeah...she is going to need a car. Hopefully the one she has will last. It runs good but it has almost 200k miles on it.

The added costs of her living on campus would be much greater than a modest car payment, gas and insurance....but we hope to avoid the car payment.

So....I am not sure that its SO outrageous for a cp to ask if its possible to get an ncp to assist with that....unrealistic...but not necessarily outrageous. If the kid is going to be living on campus then its outrageous.
Just because it's a commuter college doesn't change things. If Ohiogal is referring to the college I think she is, it is a commuter school, but there is still very limited parking for those who wish to reside on campus. There is a neighboring college where some students who reside on campus AND have a car, have to park it miles away at the football stadium. If they want to go to/from their car, they have to take the campus bus service. And as another poster commented, many schools -- commuter or not -- do not allow freshmen to have autos on campus.

OP, just to let you know (though we are in different states), when my H's ex asked that he pay for cars & car insurance, the mediator told her that is what the child support that he pays is for. If she feels the need to buy cars & pay for car insurance, then it is her responsibility to pay...not his.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">