• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

isis297

NY

Ticket for going 27 over on back roads after midnight. He's 20. Licensed for 3 years. Only other ticket he's ever gotten was just before for a knowingly obscured license plate when in reality, it was just a paper plate taped to the window because the car was bought through autotrader and the regular tags hadn't come in yet.

An insurance underwriter told him because he seems likeable and it's his first offense that she doesn't think he needs a lawyer. I think he does. I know I could be wrong, but that's why I wanted to ask you wonderful people.

Just Blue

NY

Ticket for going 27 over on back roads after midnight. He's 20. Licensed for 3 years. Only other ticket he's ever gotten was just before for a knowingly obscured license plate when in reality, it was just a paper plate taped to the window because the car was bought through autotrader and the regular tags hadn't come in yet.

An insurance underwriter told him because he seems likeable and it's his first offense that she doesn't think he needs a lawyer. I think he does. I know I could be wrong, but that's why I wanted to ask you wonderful people.
One should not take legal advice from an underwriter. Sais underwriter's employer should be notified that underwriter is giving legal advice to customers. Bad legal advice, at that! Truely....how stupid is this person? Because the driver "seems likeable" they will get the ticket (and potential jail time) dismissed? Nope.

What was the exact statute the driver was sited under?

adjusterjack

An insurance underwriter told him because he seems likeable and it's his first offense that she doesn't think he needs a lawyer.
I seriously doubt that he talked to an insurance "underwriter." More likely the agent. An agent who doesn't care how much your insurance costs. The more you pay, the bigger his commission.

Talk to a lawyer who specializes in traffic citations and review your options.

Bali Hai Again

NY

You could not be more right this time. As I mentioned before google Avvo to find a traffic attorney in your area. 6 points and $478-$988 fine is what he is subject, not to mention increased insurance cost for 3 years. A lawyer can likely plea this down.

The below link could also possibly be to his benefit:

https://www.newyorksafetycouncil.com/defensive-driving-course/?cmpcode=&targetid=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6oCamaTVgQMVbgOzAB3IhQ4aEAAYAiAAEgINhPD_BwE

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
:unsure:... ;):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Um, yeah, he needs a lawyer. "Likeable" sounds more like glib, and glib can come across as less than credible in court.

Bali Hai Again

Do you think he would most likely face that with it being his first?
There are two choices: plead guilty or plead not guilty. Pleading guilty will result in a conviction, fines, driver assessment fee (6 points or more) and increased insurance costs. The conviction will remain on his DMV abstract “forever”.

Pleading not guilty there are two choices: enter into a plea agreement with the prosecutor himself and try for the best result with his “magnetic personality” or hire a traffic attorney to do everything for him and he likely won’t need to appear in court or deal with the prosecutor.

The choice is ultimately his.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">