• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lease Terms

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CBlasek

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I am renting a house and the lease says I can have pets, which I signed. The contract that I was presented says Pets are allowed, but handwritten in the side says *Must Discuss First. This was not there when I signed it, but I cant prove that. Should a handwritten note like this been initialed? Is it enforceable in court? Can they evict?

Second question is the lease says 4 people may live in the house, I recently had a buddy move in and the landlord called b/c the neighbors called and said there was another person living in the house. There are 3 of us now. Do I have to inform them of another person, even though there are only 3 of us?

JETX

I am renting a house and the lease says I can have pets, which I signed. The contract that I was presented says Pets are allowed, but handwritten in the side says *Must Discuss First. This was not there when I signed it, but I cant prove that. Should a handwritten note like this been initialed? Is it enforceable in court? Can they evict?
Any contract modification that is made AFTER your signature and is not initialed or otherwise affirmed would likely be found NOT a contractual requirement.

Second question is the lease says 4 people may live in the house, I recently had a buddy move in and the landlord called b/c the neighbors called and said there was another person living in the house. There are 3 of us now. Do I have to inform them of another person, even though there are only 3 of us?
The lease ONLY applies to those persons who have signed it. The count means nothing.

CBlasek

Thanks!

That is what I thought.

I am the only person named on the lease. My girlfriend's name never appears on the lease. My name is the only name on the lease.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">