• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leaving abusive relationship and leaving state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MichaCA

Another question is think about if you can/do move...where you would move. Would dad take you to court?

If dad takes you to court, and there are court orders for custody/visitation...the farther away you move...the more you merge into 'long distance visitation' plans. That means dad will have longer chunks of time with child...less frequently, than if you were closer.
Something I contemplated a lot when I requested a moveaway (and child was a baby).

Since you have NO evidence of any physical harm to you, or threat to the child, the courts will give him whatever the standard visitation is in that state. So I would start you planning taking that at face value. If you stay closer - so your child can have the more frequent (but shorter visits at a time), do what you can to keep really clear boundries with your ex. Find ways like email to communicate necessary info about your child. IMO you do need major distance from this guy - but a lot of that is learning the best boundries with him as he will always be in your life due to you are parents together.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If dad files immediately, it is nearly automatic that orders will be issued prohibiting you from removing the children from the jurisdiction of the court which means the children will be forced back to Ohio.

So from what county in Ohio did you flee?

LdiJ

If dad files immediately, it is nearly automatic that orders will be issued prohibiting you from removing the children from the jurisdiction of the court which means the children will be forced back to Ohio.

So from what county in Ohio did you flee?
In her first post she said that she was still in Ohio at this time. Did you mean that she would have to return to the original county?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">