• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Left Turn - Recieved ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Krizteenah

The problem with pleading not guilty is that often times that will mean that the option for traffic school will be removed.
I realize that every state is different, but I'd suggest looking into the court procedures. For example, in FL, you request a trial, and you don't go immediately to trial- they have a pre-trial conference, where if your record is decent, they will offer a reduced fine and no points. That's when you decide whether or not you want to plead no contest or continue with not guilty, and if you choose the later, you wait for your court date. When you get to that court date, you are offered once more a plea of no contest or not guilty, though this time, you will be assessed court fees along with your original fine, but usually no points, and if you choose not guilty again, it's you vs. cop, though I think maestro's suggestions were excellent.

Now, OK may be drastically different, but if you can figure out how it will go down before you get there, you can make better decisions.

Also, this is random, but I wouldn't suggest hiring a ticket lawyer- they literally show up and see if the cop is there- if he is, they enter a plea of no contest, if they aren't the ticket is dismissed. You can do that yourself, and have a better shot since if officer is there, you can at least try to prove yourself innocent. Those lawyers make a killing out of paranoid [or lazy] people.

EDIT: but, of course, if you plead not guilty through the whole thing, and you actually go through with the trial and are found guilty, traffic school is not an option, as I quoted.

Maestro64

Thank you for all the suggestions, I've questioned the officer. He claims to have been watching an opening of a store, and happened to see me enter the intersection when it was yellow. Even though the location was a good distance away, I think I am going to ask for a dismissal on the basis that from my vantage point the light was green, he says I entered when it was yellow and gives me a ticket for a red light instead of a yellow light.

How do you guys believe things will turn out or if what I am suggesting would even work?
No one can say how it will turn out. Here are the options as I know, seen, heard, read and been told.

1) Judge will listen to the evidences and see if the facts do or do not support the ticket and find you not guilt or guilt
2) Judge will ignore the evidences and facts and find everyone guilty since it is about money
3) The officer is a no show and it is dismissed
4) The officer is a no show and the Court grants a continuance till he shows and violates speedy trial rules or until you agree to pay
5) You come in with excuses or better yet admit you were doing someone wrong and are found guilty and do not understand why.
6) You come in prepared with all the rules and laws and hope for a Judge #1.
7) Hire a lawyer and he calls the DA/judge up and pleads it down to something less and never step foot in the court room and you paid $500 to $1000 for this service.

However if the officer states in court you entered on yellow that is all you need, if the law in your state clearly states that running the red is defined as crossing the stop line at the beginning of the intersection, then you did not run a red light. being in the intersection when it is yellow turning red is not running a red. This is the point you need to get across if you choose to fight the ticket and having the officer make this statement helps and having Judge #1

The fact he stated you entered on yellow was the reason he wrote the ticket shows he does not know the law, because no where in the law did it say entering on yellow or must be clear of the intersection before turning red is breaking the law.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Traffic school option in Virginia isn't affected by the plea. In actuality most VA traffic court won't even have a plea if you appear.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">