• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal action claims to go after social security

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dolly1948

What is the name of your state? Ohio
Attorneys are now taking me to court to recover on nonpayment of 4 credit cards. I appeared in court for 2 of them. Two of them I couldn't because I've been either in the hospital, rehab center or home bound and unable to walk. Now, after 2 cases defaulted to them because I couldn't walk or leave the rehab center for the court dates. Now there are 2cases in muny court for, "Notice to the judgment debtor of garnishment of other than personal earnings. I don't work--am on ss disabity. I don't own real estate, a car or have savings. The only thing I have is my ss check. Everything else is in my husband's name alone. In this letter to the courts they claim to go after ss benefits, state disability benefits and veteran's benefits among others. Can they take away my benefits? I didn't think the could. :confused:

bdancer

They can't garnish your social security check. However, if your check is deposited into a bank account with other funds, they might be able to attach that bank account.

Betty

Right, they can't garnish your SS check. However, if you deposit the money (check) into a savings or checking acct., they can seize the money from these accts. You will then have to prove that the money they took from your accts. was SS money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">