• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal advice on an ebook

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnyw

Hello my name is Johny and I am new to this forum.

I have been playing a lot of video games lately and I have really been enjoying them. Because of the time put in, I have discovered a lot of great ways to do things in video games. People have been asking me for advice. This encouraged me to write an ebook about it. I would like to publish this ebook for a small fee.

While writing this ebook I would need to use names from inside the game and describe things about the game. Is this legal or could they take action against me because of writing an ebook like this and selling it?

I have been searching on the internet and I have read the games terms and conditions and code of conduct but I couldn't find anything about it!

Thank you in advance!

quincy

Hello my name is Johny and I am new to this forum.

I have been playing a lot of video games lately and I have really been enjoying them. Because of the time put in, I have discovered a lot of great ways to do things in video games. People have been asking me for advice. This encouraged me to write an ebook about it. I would like to publish this ebook for a small fee.

While writing this ebook I would need to use names from inside the game and describe things about the game. Is this legal or could they take action against me because of writing an ebook like this and selling it?

I have been searching on the internet and I have read the games terms and conditions and code of conduct but I couldn't find anything about it!

Thank you in advance!
What is the name of your state, johnyw, or, if not in the US, what is the name of your country?

If you cannot find a "legal page" on the game website that speaks to the game owner's intellectual property rights and the licensing of these rights, it would probably be smart for you to use their "contact" information and inquire about rights.

Depending on your state/country, the use of the video game in the manner you describe could be legal if precautions are taken to stay within certain legal boundaries - although nothing can prevent a game owner from taking legal action against you anyway.

Last edited:

johnyw

What is the name of your state, johnyw, or, if not in the US, what is the name of your country?

If you cannot find a "legal page" on the game website that speaks to the game owner's rights and licensing of these rights, it would probably be smart to use their "contact" information and inquire about rights. Depending on your state/country, the use of the video game in the manner you describe could be legal within certain boundaries - although nothing could prevent the game owner from taking legal action against you anyway.
Hello Quincy,

Thank you for your quick reply. I'm from outside the US myself. I'm from Belgium. I guess my best guess is to see what they say about it!

quincy

Hello Quincy,

Thank you for your quick reply. I'm from outside the US myself. I'm from Belgium. I guess my best guess is to see what they say about it!
Yes. It can be legally-safest to see what the game owners say about your plans to write your e-book before moving ahead with your plans. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">