• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal help for low income organizations????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vbperez

What is the name of your state? California

Hello,

I currently live in Inglewood, CA. I have a neighbor that has a son in jail...for a crime he didn't commit. Anyway, the lawyer is charging her $100k. She can't afford to pay that....I have heard of organizations that help out in cases like these....I just can't seem to find any over the net. Can somebody please help me out here. Anybody know of any type of organization that offers legal assistance to low income citizens.

Thank you,
Veronica

AmosMoses

vb

You may find someone who will CONSIDER doing some pro bono work, but I know of no ready source for money, especially in this amount, to fund a defendant's legal expenses with the lawyer of his choice. Now, if it is like a capital murder case, you have a better chance of getting some organization to help out, and if you can convince someone like Barry Scheck (sp??) that he is innocent, your chances may get better. Keep in mind that everyone in jail is "innocent", so the man that truly may be is only one of many claiming so. That's just the breaks. They (Scheck, et al, maybe "Project Freedom" or something like that. I can't recall the name of that specific organization), love to get juicy capitol murder cases that they can clear with DNA and KNOW they can clear it as well as any individual other than the actual perpetartor can know this, but keep in mind that the chances of getting this help are slim to none. JETX gave you the absolute best resource for help, more than likely, but I am not sure how much help they give to convicted individuals. It's just not like TV...I firmly believe that most post convition relief that people get, they usually have to pay for. This is all my opinion, only. I wish I could have been of some assistance, but good luck with your search, anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">