• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legality of a 30 days to vacate notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

My tenant died in late feb, during our lease. Nobody from the family informed me. I sent a 30 days to vacate notice to the estate in care of a family member. But as I found out, there was no estate, because there was no will. Three weeks later, a family member finally got administratix status. Question: is the 30 days notice i sent still valid, or are all communications null and void until there is an official administratix?

i thought it was an abandoment because to that point nobody from her family had contacted me. i received advice to sent out a 30 days to vacate notice. also, the tenant died in feb and had paid rent through march. but the house was trashed when i went in and i really thought it was on me to get rid of the junk. so in a bit of a panic, i sent out the letter.

alaska - do you mean the lease does not transfer over to the estate when it is established. if not, do I owe the estate anything?

Alaska landlord

It would if you lived in NY or maybe NJ but not in PA.
You give notice to pick up their stuff or you will trash it. Notify all heirs or possible heirs if some show up, make them sign a statement indicating that what they took they are entitled to. If they don’t respond within a certain time frame, then store it until you are certain you have satisfied state laws of abandonment. As for the rent, and damages, you charge for what is due to you. And hold off on the rest till the proper executor of the tenant steps up.

Some years ago the same thing happened to me. The heirs refused to take any property and moved to the lower 48's. A year later they came back and wanted the furniture. They sued me for 10,000. they had a reputation for suing people and I knew it. I had kept their ratty furniture and was able to prove with pictures that it was junk. The Judge ordered me to return the furniture but they never did pick it up. They were hoping for a money judgment and were surpprised that I still had their junk.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">