• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Length of marriage required for alimony in OK?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

schnark

What is the name of your state? OK

My sister's Ex (soon to be, anyway) has told her he is going to file for alimony. He was unemployed for the last 5 years of their 8 year marriage. The 9 year anniversary will pass while the divorce is pending. She is worried that he might be successful. She filed for divorce in July and wasn't asking for ANY financial relief.

For their entire marriage, she worked and in the last 5 years, she was the ONLY one working. They have a daughter, but she went to daycare while my sister worked and her ex had little to do with her upbringing. He also didn't do any housework. He engaged in his hobbies and they separated many times due to his unwillingness to work. She gave him several second chances based on his promise to get a job and finally she left him when she realized it was a lost cause.

As soon as they split, he went and got a job and apparently still has it.

She is saving money now to hire an attorney, but she's worried. One friend told her to be worried and another told her they had to be married 10 years.

Does anyone know so I can hopefully ease her mind?

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? OK

My sister's Ex (soon to be, anyway) has told her he is going to file for alimony. He was unemployed for the last 5 years of their 8 year marriage. The 9 year anniversary will pass while the divorce is pending. She is worried that he might be successful. She filed for divorce in July and wasn't asking for ANY financial relief.

For their entire marriage, she worked and in the last 5 years, she was the ONLY one working. They have a daughter, but she went to daycare while my sister worked and her ex had little to do with her upbringing. He also didn't do any housework. He engaged in his hobbies and they separated many times due to his unwillingness to work. She gave him several second chances based on his promise to get a job and finally she left him when she realized it was a lost cause.

As soon as they split, he went and got a job and apparently still has it.

She is saving money now to hire an attorney, but she's worried. One friend told her to be worried and another told her they had to be married 10 years.

Does anyone know so I can hopefully ease her mind?
The marriage is short enough that alimony is not all that likely, and if it did get ordered it would be for a short duration.

How does his current income compare to hers?

schnark

The marriage is short enough that alimony is not all that likely, and if it did get ordered it would be for a short duration.

How does his current income compare to hers?

The funny thing is, even though he sat around playing video games and watching TV when they were together, now that he is out of the house he now has a job and makes more than she does. He makes about $500 a month more than she does.

CJane

She needs to just sit quietly and wait until the hearing then... if he's gainfully employed making more than she does, he's not getting alimony. He's just not.

Bali Hai

The funny thing is, even though he sat around playing video games and watching TV when they were together, now that he is out of the house he now has a job and makes more than she does. He makes about $500 a month more than she does.
It's even funnier when a wife sits home watching soap operas and talking for hours on the telephone about absolutely nothing, then gets awarded alimony. But she's smarter than your b/i/l because she has sense enough to remain lazy and collect the alimony.

At least he is working.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">