• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability as a locksmith

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AaronJ

The state is Louisiana.

First, thank you for reading my questions. Your advice is appreciated.

I am a locksmith for a company of about 12 employees.

Questions:

1. I let someone into a home without checking their credentials. They steal nothing nor do any damage but the homeowner finds out. What is my/the company's liability?

2. Same situation but the person steals or damages property. What is my/the company's liability?

3. A lock, safe, vault, etc. that I serviced fails to operate. The owner is financially inconvienced. What is my/ the company's liability.

Examples or further clarification will be given upon request. Thank your for your consideration.

Last edited:

stephenk

1. your company is in trouble;
2. your company is in bigger trouble;
3. your company is responsible for the financial losses directly due to your negligence in servicing the safe.

A

AaronJ

Should I assume that the locksmith himself has no liability for examples 1 and 2?

Quick real world example. (happened to me):

Dispatcher radios me and tells me to go to a known customers house to let their brother in the home. This customer has been hospitilized for psychiatric reasons. This is all we know.

I informed the dispatcher that without paperwork showing the brother owns the property or a court order allowing him entry that I would not pick open the locks and let him into the home. Frankly I don't know the customers brother from the Tooth Fairy.

This caused some tension between myself and the dispatcher.

So I ask this. If this "brother" was not allowed in the home and he stole the tv, used the good silverware, kicked the dog, and burned the house down could I have been held liable?

stephenk

does your company have a written policy for such a situation? If it does, go by the company policy. If no policy, you can ask a manager to make the call whether you should pick a lock for a person (not the owner) asking to be let into a residence.

Your liability would be limited as an employee doing the bidding of your employer. The employer would be ultimately responsible.

A

AaronJ

No written policy on anything.

The company is a very good one to work for (pay/benefits/coworkers) but getting them to put any policies in writing is like pulling teeth.

Anyway, I learned at an early age to cover your own butt because no one else can be counted on to do it for you. I just wanted to be on the safe side.

Thank you for your time sir. Your responses were very helpful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">