• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability exposure after a Concept is conveyed or sold.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

oldscout

Scenario: I developed a municipal infrastructure concept and created a corresponding public presence to gain public support for the concept. I conveyed the concept to a builder via a contractual agreement in exchange for a "success fee" upon construction start.

Question: If, after the concept is approved by the governing bodies and construction begins, a 3rd party entity files suit to stop the construction for damages, what is my exposure as concept originator and promoter (but no longer owner of the concept)? If exposure is present, what are possible remedies?

Last edited:

adjusterjack

Think about the liability of an architect or engineer if the building collapses and you'll have your answer.

If that doesn't do it for you, consult an attorney.

By the way, nothing prevents a lawsuit from being handed to you. Defense costs can be tens of thousands of dollars even if you are eventually absolved.

I hope you have the appropriate liability insurance for what you are doing.

Last edited:

quincy

Scenario: I developed a municipal infrastructure concept and created a corresponding public presence to gain public support for the concept. I conveyed the concept to a builder via a contractual agreement in exchange for a "success fee" upon construction start.

Question: If, after the concept is approved by the governing bodies and construction begins, a 3rd party entity files suit to stop the construction for damages, what is my exposure as concept originator and promoter (but no longer owner of the concept)? If exposure is present, what are possible remedies?
What is the name of your state or, if not in the U.S., what is the name of your country?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
More information would be needed to tell you what exposure you have, if any. At a minimum it is important to know the jurisdiction involved (in the U.S. it matters in what state the city that is building it is located), what exactly this concept is, the details of your contract in which you sold the idea, and it would matter exactly what the person suing claims is the act that is causing (or will cause) him/her injury. That's the problem with hypothetical situations; the specific facts matter and if you change even one fact the answer might end up totally different. I suggest you consult an attorney near you to get advice on what risks there may be and how best to protect yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">