• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability for building a small pool platform

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mitchelt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CO

Not sure if this is the correct section but here goes.

An example of the item in question can be seen here:
http://halogensupply.thomasnet-navigator.com/Asset/Toddler-Training-Ladder.jpg

My little girls school wanted to buy a platform like this but the cost was over $800, I told them if they purchased the supplies I would built it for them. It just a bunch of PVC pipe and a cutting board like material for the deck.

Should I have them sign some type of liability waiver in case something happens with the platform? And if so...does someone have a good example I can use?

Thanks,

Mitch

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Even with a liability waiver, you can STILL be sued. There wouldn't be a "boiler-plate" form to use.

tranquility

For practical advice on the building of the platform, don't use PVC. Having made a bunch of small goals for soccer practice out of the pipe, it degrades in the sun. You don't want a platform failure resulting in an explosion of PVC shards three years down the line. (I know the technical specs seem to say the UV degradation is slight. But, shards, three years, on impact. Just saying.)

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CO

Not sure if this is the correct section but here goes.

An example of the item in question can be seen here:
http://halogensupply.thomasnet-navigator.com/Asset/Toddler-Training-Ladder.jpg

My little girls school wanted to buy a platform like this but the cost was over $800, I told them if they purchased the supplies I would built it for them. It just a bunch of PVC pipe and a cutting board like material for the deck.

Should I have them sign some type of liability waiver in case something happens with the platform? And if so...does someone have a good example I can use?

Thanks,

Mitch
**A: you can still be held liable even if you get a signed waiver.

Zigner

Yes...I know I can be sued for just about anything, the question was should I get a liability waiver signed?
The point is that, waiver or not, you can still be sued. Sure, get a wavier signed (preferably one drafted by an attorney), but it may not protect you from liability.

Mass_Shyster

Yes...I know I can be sued for just about anything, the question was should I get a liability waiver signed?
The chances are that if someone gets hurt, it will not be the person who signed the liability waiver. The school cannot waive the rights of the students.

mitchelt

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Silly me...I forgot about my friend the Assistant DA...I asked him and to make a long story short...he pretty much told me that under no circumstances should I even think of donating the platform or the separate pieces so they could put it together themselves.

He said that as long as the platform existed, I could be held liable for any injuries and that even if I was innocent, it could cost me thousands of dollars to defend myself.

Oh well…at least my heart was in the right place.

Zigner

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Silly me...I forgot about my friend the Assistant DA...I asked him and to make a long story short...he pretty much told me that under no circumstances should I even think of donating the platform or the separate pieces so they could put it together themselves.

He said that as long as the platform existed, I could be held liable for any injuries and that even if I was innocent, it could cost me thousands of dollars to defend myself.

Oh well…at least my heart was in the right place.
Uh...yeah...sounds a lot like what you were told here.

mitchelt

**A: huh, isn't that why you posted here?
Did you guys even bother reading the disclaimer on this site?

**A: FreeAdvice does NOT vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any posting on the Forums or the identity or qualifications of any person asking questions or responding on the Forums.

I find it amazing that some of you are getting bent out of shape because I had the nerve to ask a professional.

I bet you if a person followed someones exact advice and got themselves in a jam, they would be chastised for not contacting a lawyer for a second opinion.

Mitch

HomeGuru

Did you guys even bother reading the disclaimer on this site?

**A: FreeAdvice does NOT vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any posting on the Forums or the identity or qualifications of any person asking questions or responding on the Forums.

I find it amazing that some of you are getting bent out of shape because I had the nerve to ask a professional.

I bet you if a person followed someones exact advice and got themselves in a jam, they would be chastised for not contacting a lawyer for a second opinion.

Mitch
**A: no one is bent out of shape.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">