• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability in car accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PDP123

I was recently involved in a car accident: I was attempting to make a left turn, and as I started into the turn a car coming in the opposite direction had to swerve to avoid hitting me; this caused her to drive over a curbed area lined with rocks. The woman called the police and we filled out accident reports - even though there was never a collison between the cars; though I was required to fill out a statement the officer did not include my name in the accident report, though he did have me exchange insurance information with the woman. He then proceeded to let me go, while keeping her there; as she had been operating the vehicle with a suspended registration. I was at the time operating a vehicle which was insured under my fathers name, he instucted me to ignore inquiries from our insurance provider so the case went into collections and I am now being sued for damages. My question is: due to the fact that she was illegally operating the vehicle at the time, coupled with the fact that my name appears nowhere on the accident report am I liable for the damages sustained and if so to what extent as the fact that she was illegally operating the vehicle and it is impossible to determine the extent to which my position in the road contributed to her accident? I am located in New York, if that has any bearing on the answer. Thank you, for any infromation you can offer to help.

stephenk

"he instucted me to ignore inquiries from our insurance provider so the case went into collections and I am now being sued for damages"

Daddy isn't the bright one in the family, right? Why would you avoid your own insurance company?

You are liable for the accident - she had to avoid your unsafe left turn maneuver and in the process damaged her car. Expired registration has no bearing on your liability.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">