• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

License denial due to landlord delay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

above82

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

I am not sure if this is the right part of the forum for this question:

I lease a convenience store, just opened 3/10. I had to apply for a alcohol and tobacco license in order to sell beer, wine and cigarettes. The state required me to get a sublease from the landlord in order to approve the license. I requested the letter and due to lack of time was denied the license by the state, therefore, i must close my store as alcohol is the biggest seller in the store. I now lose my investment due to this.

Can the landlord be held liable for anything since they were the ones who caused this loss?

I appreciate any help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

I am not sure if this is the right part of the forum for this question:

I lease a convenience store, just opened 3/10. I had to apply for a alcohol and tobacco license in order to sell beer, wine and cigarettes. The state required me to get a sublease from the landlord in order to approve the license. I requested the letter and due to lack of time was denied the license by the state, therefore, i must close my store as alcohol is the biggest seller in the store. I now lose my investment due to this.

Can the landlord be held liable for anything since they were the ones who caused this loss?

I appreciate any help.
Why wouldn't your copy of your lease be sufficient?

Dave1952

I think it would help if you could better explain the problem with the landlord. You asked him to do something which you call a "sublease". How much time did he have to respond before the State needed the paperwork? Did he respond? What did he say?
Is there any reason why you can not re-apply and get another interim license while you deal with the landlord?
Assuming that the landlord knew that you planned to operate a convenience store it is hard to believe that he would not assist you in getting the licenses.

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">