• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

license suspension-how long to notify another state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kate33

What is the name of your state? PA and IA

I lived in PA and had a PA DL at the time of my DUI. I moved to IA before my ARD hearing with permission and received an IA DL. I told IA I may be receiving a suspension but they said they didn't see anything on their system as of yet. I went back for my ARD hearing on Apr 1st and received a 60 day suspension. They stated they could not take my IA license so I completed an affadavit with my IA info on it. A couple of weeks ago I received a letter from PennDot stating they suspended my driving priveledge under my old PA license that is no longer active. I am to submit $25 to reinstate this priveledge after 60 days. I'm confused because I was expecting to see my IA priveledge revoked. I have not yet received anything from IA yet it's only been a month. Does anyone know how long it takes to receive anything from another state? Is there a certain time period this has to be done? Can they still come back 1 year from now after everything is done and suspend me? I didn't have an IA license at the time of the incident so I'm not sure if that's where the confusion is. With ARD, it's not a conviction and this will be expunged in 1 year.

Thank you.

FlyingRon

I think you may be OK. Iowa does suspend for out of state CONVICTIONS which ARD (if you do it right) is not. I suspect if Iowa finds you've been suspended elsewhere they may also suspend you there, but it's also quite possible you'd get reinstated in PA before IA and PA ever get together on the paperwork.

Pay the $25 or whatever to reinstate your PA driving privs as soon as you are eligible.

kate33

Thank you for your reply. I am eligible for reinstatement on June 1st. Does this mean that mean after my license is reinstated in PA, IA can no longer suspend me? I'm worried that next year or years down the road after all of this is behind me, they'll realize they didn't suspend me and do it then.

Yes, as for ARD I was told by the judge it is not a conviction and that in 1 year I can get everything expunged.

paguy88

Thank you for your reply. I am eligible for reinstatement on June 1st. Does this mean that mean after my license is reinstated in PA, IA can no longer suspend me? I'm worried that next year or years down the road after all of this is behind me, they'll realize they didn't suspend me and do it then.

Yes, as for ARD I was told by the judge it is not a conviction and that in 1 year I can get everything expunged.

ARD is 100% not a convition...

if you do everything they say classes,fines ect..

it gets expunged off your record.

FlyingRon

The "if you do it right" qualification on ARD not being a conviction refers to finishing it without violating the probation such that the original charge is reinstated.

paguy88

The "if you do it right" qualification on ARD not being a conviction refers to finishing it without violating the probation such that the original charge is reinstated.

exactly..

do EVERYTHING they say to do.

Classes, pay fine, and dont get arrested again for anything.

then after your term of probation it gets expunged in something like 6-18 months.

kate33

Yes, absolutely. I finished everything I was required to do in less than a month and I will not be doing anything to violate my probation. ARD was a gift and I don't intend to mess it up. Thank you for your help.

redredcavalier9

help..paging KATE33...i would like to talk to you about your PA DUI

Dear Kate33,

I have enabled private messaging through the options tab. My wife is in the same boat that you were in. She lives in ohio, but works in PA and had an afterwork party which resulted in her blowing a .137 Actual blood results aren't in, but I sure she will be at least tier 1 or 2 on the DUI scale. I am also sure ARD will be an option for her as she has no criminal record, no prior arrests. I have a lawyer which I am not suppose to meet with until I get the registered letter in the mail from the police department, but I really would love to get some first hand experience from someon such as yourself, on what it ended up costing you total, what you had to go through, and basically feel for what we are up against. Please private message me, but If you dont' know how I can give you my email address.

Sincerely,

Robert O.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">