• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Little Peeping Tom!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeykat

Legal advice needed

OHR is having trouble separating this forum from his (oh, how I wish it was) private life.
Correct Silverplum, I posted here because I need some legal advice. I don't need anyone to judge me, only to advise me as to whether there is any legal recourse possible. I would prefer to avoid taking that step, but if it's possible, then I can at least use it in a constructive manner when speaking to the adults. i.e., "I would hate to have to [legalese], but this behavior has got to stop."

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The police aren't going to lock up 10 year olds for looking in windows.

Close your blinds and shades and tough it out until the visiting kids leave.

Just Blue

Correct Silverplum, I posted here because I need some legal advice. I don't need anyone to judge me, only to advise me as to whether there is any legal recourse possible. I would prefer to avoid taking that step, but if it's possible, then I can at least use it in a constructive manner when speaking to the adults. i.e., "I would hate to have to [legalese], but this behavior has got to stop."
I have to say...I don't really know WHAT to say to you. Talk about blowing something out of total proportion! To call a 10 year old a "peeping tom" ??

Likely the kid is a PITA and knows he is riling you up...And you keep playing into it. OY!!:(

TigerD

Set up a sprinkler outside aimed towards the windows.
Wait for the kids to peep.
Turn on water.

TD

joeykat

Problem solved!

Well, to everyone who gave me their opinion and personal advice, thank you but I've been able to resolve the problem. The best part is that I didn't have to plant thorny plants, lock myself in a dark house or tough it out, spray them with water, use food dye (which, BTW, would also color my window sills), build a fence or do anything aggressive. I simply went over and spoke firmly with the grandparents. I referred to the instigator as such, and as a little peeping tom and said that it has got to stop. I firmly stated that good neighbors respect each other's privacy and don't look in each other's windows. They asked for details, which I provided, and they said they know exactly which child it is. They put two and two together and said that they also know exactly when it happened by his behavior, and which other of the grandchildren were involved. They apologized profusely, promised to take care of it immediately, and to make sure it never happens again--they were sincere beyond a doubt. I have a feeling that the boy will be sent over to apologize next time he's here, but even if he doesn't apologize, I feel confident that the matter is put to rest.

To Blue Meanie: The grandparents did not feel that calling the boy a little peeping tom was out of line, out of proportion or getting carried away--they took it extremely seriously, as do I.

NellieBly

Quincy, it's only a home. No kids here, and so nothing like toys or balloons or anything super colorful. No puppies or kittens or bunnies or anything else like that. Regardless, there is no excuse for looking into a person's windows, whether they are open, closed, have shades or not.
He's doing it because he knows it bugs you.

quincy

Well, to everyone who gave me their opinion and personal advice, thank you but I've been able to resolve the problem. The best part is that I didn't have to plant thorny plants, lock myself in a dark house or tough it out, spray them with water, use food dye (which, BTW, would also color my window sills), build a fence or do anything aggressive. I simply went over and spoke firmly with the grandparents. I referred to the instigator as such, and as a little peeping tom and said that it has got to stop. I firmly stated that good neighbors respect each other's privacy and don't look in each other's windows. They asked for details, which I provided, and they said they know exactly which child it is. They put two and two together and said that they also know exactly when it happened by his behavior, and which other of the grandchildren were involved. They apologized profusely, promised to take care of it immediately, and to make sure it never happens again--they were sincere beyond a doubt. I have a feeling that the boy will be sent over to apologize next time he's here, but even if he doesn't apologize, I feel confident that the matter is put to rest.

To Blue Meanie: The grandparents did not feel that calling the boy a little peeping tom was out of line, out of proportion or getting carried away--they took it extremely seriously, as do I.
I think the way you handled this was excellent, joeykat, and I am glad the grandparents took your concerns seriously.

Had the children been younger (say 6 or so), the peeping would still be annoying but not as concerning and there is less that can be done legally. It falls solely on the parents to control the actions of their children. By age ten, though, behavior like you described is more disturbing. A ten year old child needs to learn fast where his rights end and the rights of others begin - or he is going to be very hard to control as a teenager.

As to the laws that were violated with the peeping, there was both trespassing and an invasion of your privacy - and had an adult been the one doing the peeping, police involvement would have been a no-brainer and absolutely appropriate. As it stands, I believe you did exactly the right thing.

I hope you get an apology from the children.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">