• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ll is selling

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nytenant01

What is the name of your state? new york
my landlord lives upstairs from the apartment i am renting and has decided to sell the house...i have a few questions regarding this matter. first of all what type of notice must be given to me as far as the realestates showing the area of the house that i occupy? she is trying to tell me that she only has to give me 30 min. notice and i have to be available at all times or give her acces to my portion of the house...I don't think she has that right. and also the 2 tenents prior to me never recieved there sec.deposit from her due to rug damage that has never benn fixed she just uses the same excuse they have both won court cases to recieve there money but still have not received it...can i try to live out my security due to her history. she is also threating that if i dont comply to her terms of showing the property she will give me 30day notice, is that legal grounds for eviction? she is psycho!:confused:

JETX

Q1) "my landlord lives upstairs from the apartment i am renting and has decided to sell the house..."
A1) Do you have a written lease?? If so, what does it say (if anything) about the landlord selling the property and your obligation to show?? If you do NOT have a lease, then the landlord can pretty much do whatever they want... and give you a 30 day notice to vacate if you don't like it.... unless rent-controlled.

Q2) "first of all what type of notice must be given to me as far as the realestates showing the area of the house that i occupy? she is trying to tell me that she only has to give me 30 min. notice and i have to be available at all times or give her acces to my portion of the house...I don't think she has that right."
A2) And what does she say when you politely ask, "Would you mind showing me what authority allows you to do that??".

Q3) "and also the 2 tenents prior to me never recieved there sec.deposit from her due to rug damage that has never benn fixed she just uses the same excuse they have both won court cases to recieve there money but still have not received it...can i try to live out my security due to her history."
A3) Your question asks can you TRY to do that. Of course you can try. But, don't be surprised if she prohibits it since most leases exclude using the deposit to pay rent.

Q4) "she is also threating that if i dont comply to her terms of showing the property she will give me 30day notice, is that legal grounds for eviction?"
A4) Do you have a WRITTEN lease?? If so, then that refusal would probably not be sufficient on its own. If you do NOT have a lease, then you are an 'at will' tenant and each is only obligated to the other for the one month.

HomeGuru

nytenant01 said:
What is the name of your state? new york
my landlord lives upstairs from the apartment i am renting and has decided to sell the house...i have a few questions regarding this matter. first of all what type of notice must be given to me as far as the realestates showing the area of the house that i occupy? she is trying to tell me that she only has to give me 30 min. notice and i have to be available at all times or give her acces to my portion of the house...I don't think she has that right.

**A: that is BS. Read the L/T law and educate yourself.

and also the 2 tenents prior to me never recieved there sec.deposit from her due to rug damage that has never benn fixed she just uses the same excuse they have both won court cases to recieve there money but still have not received it...

**A: that is not your problem.

can i try to live out my security due to her history. she is also threating that if i dont comply to her terms of showing the property she will give me 30day notice, is that legal grounds for eviction? she is psycho!:confused:

**A: see my first response.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">