• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

loku, Thank you for your help, and another question.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kat1963

I was reading your reply to the post about estimated income. I posted previously about something similar. Well, the lein has been paid off, so at least that part is over. They don't have him filing taxes for 90 & 91, so they estimated & filed for him (no deductions of course). I was informed he could go ahead and file for those tax years, he wouldn't recieve the refund he would have gotten and would be charged a pentalty (about a thousand total). Thats okay as it still would mean he would get approximately 9,000 back. Soooo I contacted the company he worked for, they purge their files after 10 years so the W-2's are not available. My question, can I request a copy of the income tax returns that they filed for him for those years (I know it's $25.00 each) and use their estimate as the basis for filing the amended returns? Or, are we just S.O.L.
Thank you in advance for any and all advice.!
KAT

L

loku

I don’t understand what you want to do. If you mean to request copies of the income tax returns that the IRS filed for him for those years, there are no returns. The IRS has estimated amounts and used them to calculate an assessment. The amounts they used would have been listed on the notices they sent. So look at those, or request that the IRS send you copies.

If you are referring to some other returns, please post what returns you are referring to.

kat1963

I apologize for not being clear. Yes, idiot me thought they would print out and file a simple return for him. From what you are telling me it was just an assessment. I requested clarification several times in the past 2 years. All I end up with is a handwritten note from the IRS saying you owe $5,000 for this year, $4,000 for this year. DAH! No reason, no explaination of how they arrived at the figures and 2 different people sent 2 different years and amounts.

I sent away requesting all information they have for those years, on their OWN forms this time, hopefully this will include the assessments. It probably won't get me anywhere, no way we'll see the money back, but what the heck. I'm willing to waste some time and few extra stamps.

Either way, at least it's over.

Thank you for taking your time to respond.

Kimberly

L

loku

If you get what you want from them, fine. If not, perhaps if you specifically request the details of the assessments, you might get the info.

However, what I really don't understand is how getting that info will help you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">