• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Long Hair = No Job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beth3

Glowing, just in case you missed the point in all those song lyrics, yes, you can be denied a job because you have long hair or appear poorly groomed. Welcome to the real world - grooming counts. Most employers want employees who make a professional and tidy appearance, even if you're just 16 and looking for part-time work.

withonel

Grooming counts

You mentioned you're not opposed to pulling your hair back or using a hairnet. Make sure when you stop by to pick up an application and/or appear for an interview that you have your hair pulled back or in a hat. If you're showing up and all they see is hair there is a good chance your application will go unanswered. Make sure your penmanship is clear, your contact information is accurate, etc. It may not be your hair that is holding you back but your age, inexperience, etc.
Legally, as mentioned before, you can be refused the opportunity because of your appearance.

BelizeBreeze said:
Signs

by Unknown
And the sign said,
"Long-haired freaky people
Need not apply."
So I tucked my hair up under my hat
And I went in to ask him why.
He said, "You look like a fine upstandin' young man.
I think you'll do."
So I took off my hat and said, "Imagine that.
huh , me workin' for you."

Whoa, sign, sign.
Everywhere a sign.
Blockin' out the scen'ry.
Breakin' my mind.
Do this. Don't do that.
Can't you read the sign?
BB, far be it from me to mess with you pros, but wasn't it Signs?
(It was my favorite song growing up in those radical years along with Itchygoo Park). :D

(Quote) Withonell
Legally, as mentioned before, you can be refused the opportunity because of your appearance (Quote)

I hear that's not applicable here in Santa Cruz. We tolerate just about anything and make it a law just to be sure. :rolleyes: Love our City Council, now fighting over whether to rebuild an oceanfront hotel or leave it as it has been since the 60's.

Okay, resume the songfest. Bringing back some good memories!

BelizeBreeze

You have Peggy Flemming in Santa Cruz so it can't be all bad. The last time I was there at the California Bar and Grill she had on one HELL of a short dress. And even at her age, I'd kill to be able to climb those legs :D

I'm listening to Billie Holiday right now so I can't think about rock and roll.

ENASNI

aww

BelizeBreeze said:
You have Peggy Flemming in Santa Cruz so it can't be all bad. The last time I was there at the California Bar and Grill she had on one HELL of a short dress. And even at her age, I'd kill to be able to climb those legs :D

I can just see you crooning to Scruffy...
"I can't give you anything but love...baby"

As for Peggy Flemming... it would be more like

"Its like Reaching for the moon..." :p

ENASNI

Umm

HomeGuru said:
ENASNI said:
Maybe someone will meet them in Him in the middle???

That song title is not redemption. It is Sister Golden Hair "Surprise" by America.
I was trying to get redemption for posting HAIR after IAAL...

but I get the hint...no more disc jockeying for me... :eek:

BelizeBreeze said:

Ahh yes, but we also had Alfred Hitchcock in Scotts Valley whose legs would've probably been easier to climb. :D Did you know that "The Birds" was inspired by an actual event here years ago? Movie trivia - just try to move your mind from Billie Holliday to The Birds. :eek:

HomeGuru

tryingtoplease said:
Ahh yes, but we also had Alfred Hitchcock in Scotts Valley whose legs would've probably been easier to climb. :D Did you know that "The Birds" was inspired by an actual event here years ago? Movie trivia - just try to move your mind from Billie Holliday to The Birds. :eek:

**A: there was this rock group called the Byrds. Neil Young was not in it but he composed a song titled Birds.

HomeGuru said:
**A: there was this rock group called the Byrds. Neil Young was not in it but he composed a song titled Birds.
I wonder if Tippi Hedren ever listened to 'em. :cool:

OP, I think your answer is move to Santa Cruz, where you can have pink hair, tats and lots of piercings, or pull it back. My oldest brother (now an AARP member) had the same problem in the 60's. Conform, move or be unemployable. Although I thought long hair on boys was handsome in my teens, so it's a toss up. Girls or a job, girls or a job, hmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">