• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

looking for some advise!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ninamarie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

The car my boyfriend was driving in happen to be in both of our names, however we were split up and I was in Nevada visiting my daughter and in the processes of moving to another home where I live in modesto california. He (idiot) was driving our 1976 corvette of course with out a licence and also without the proper tags on it. Naturally, he was pulled over :mad: and the vehical was towed and put on a 30day hold. I did not find out about this until about 2 weeks ago. I was never informed from the towing yard the car was to be sold. :confused: Now I find out the the car which was valued at blue book about 4,500$ they sold it for over 13k... I am not only upset about the whole situation but livid that I was never notifyed of this ( I wouldnt depend on the ex to notify me either!). What are my rights concerning this?
Do I have any or am I to say the least. Screwed!!

Isis1

well, if you were not notified, then i have one question. did you renew your address with the department of motor vehicles? your title?

CdwJava

The car my boyfriend was driving in happen to be in both of our names, however we were split up and I was in Nevada visiting my daughter and in the processes of moving to another home where I live in modesto california. He (idiot) was driving our 1976 corvette of course with out a licence and also without the proper tags on it. Naturally, he was pulled over :mad: and the vehical was towed and put on a 30day hold. I did not find out about this until about 2 weeks ago. I was never informed from the towing yard the car was to be sold. :confused: Now I find out the the car which was valued at blue book about 4,500$ they sold it for over 13k... I am not only upset about the whole situation but livid that I was never notifyed of this ( I wouldnt depend on the ex to notify me either!). What are my rights concerning this?
Do I have any or am I to say the least. Screwed!!
Question: Was your name on the title and/or registration? If "No," then that is the end of the story right there as there would have been no lawful requirement to notify you.

If, "Yes," then was your address current on the registration or title?

Notice is only required to be sent to known interested parties. This usually refers to the registered and legal owners, and anyone with a lien on the vehicle. They do not have to bend Heaven and Earth searching for the parties as the law requires these folks to keep their contact info up to date.

If no notice was received, and your name and address were on the registration and/or title, then you may have a legitimate claim against the tow yard.

However, if boyfriend was also on the registration and/or title and had your name removed, or, signed the vehicle over to the tow yard to avoid additional fees, then you may also be screwed. If your name was listed with his on the registration title and separated by the word "Or" then he had the legal ability to sign over the vehicle without your consent. If that was the case, you can try to sue him.

First, contact the company that conducted the lien sale and ask for the paperwork IF they will provide it to you. If not, then maybe you can find out if your name was on there anywhere, and what address they sent the notification to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">