• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Major bank credit card fraud by relative--federal crime?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dewey

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

A relative applied for a line of credit for $100,000 in his own name and my husband's name without his knowledge nor permission at a large, national bank (N.A. and FDIC). The bank granted $25,000. Relative defaulted, we got the final demand letter and that's how we found out about this fraudulent account.

Filed police report, retained attorney for civil portion, and will proceed by pressing all criminal charges.

I've read all the Arizona Revised Statutes that I think apply in this situation....now I've been reading where bank fraud against a federally insured institution is a federal crime.

If this relative gave false information on the credit card application (including all my husband's information without his knowledge or permission, but also flat out lied and grossly inflated my husband's income and checking account in order to try to obtain the $100,000), how would this be prosecuted differently from an Arizona court and what are the possible consequences for this relative if this is a federal crime?

Last edited:

ecmst12

It is the decision of the prosecutor whether to refer the case for federal charges or to proceed with state level charges. It is not your choice and has nothing to do with your wishes. If you or your husband are needed as witnesses, they will advise you.

kandrt30

I work for a credit card company and bank fraud as well as ID theft can carry as much as 30 years in prision and up a $1 million fine. The bank can press charges if you don't and then the gov. get's involved. I work for the fraud dept, at Citibank. Remember that credit cards are not FDIC insured.

Dewey

I work for a credit card company and bank fraud as well as ID theft can carry as much as 30 years in prision and up a $1 million fine. The bank can press charges if you don't and then the gov. get's involved. I work for the fraud dept, at Citibank. Remember that credit cards are not FDIC insured.

Yes, I realize that the decision to proceed on those criminal charges is up to our County Attorney....but we can do our part by pressing the charges, encouraging the County Attorney by demonstrating our willingness to fully cooperate.

I was just wondering IF the County Attorney proceeded, or if it was referred to our U.S. District Court, how the consequences differered from a state charge vs. a federal charge. You answered my question--up to a $1 milllion fine and/or 30 years in prison--and I had found that in the U.S. code later.

This wasn't JUST a credit card. It was a business line of credit from a national FDIC bank that had a credit card attached to it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">