• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

major problems with will and step children

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slreno

What is the name of your state (OHIO)?
i am going to try to make this as small as possible but there is a bit to tell you about so please bear with me on this.

my wifes father passed away and left a will that is going through probate. wife is the only natural daughter. the rest are step children,. he passed away wanting everything to be fair and of course that is why he left a will, hopeing things would be fair...
well things are not going as they should, he left the oldest step daughter as the executor expecting her to be fair, that is not the case!!
the day after he passed away all the step children went down to florida, where he lived 6 months of the year. while there they went through everything he owned and brought back a truck load of stuff and told my wife it was all junk and she didnt need to go through it. my wife, being the trust worthy person she is, didnt question her. as we seen her pass out items to her kids and grand kids while our kids got left out.. and found out that each of the step children that went down to florida came back with quite a few items for themselves and wife was left out!. NOW THE TRUST IN THE EXECUTOR IS GONE AT THIS POINT!
about 4 days later (the day after his funeral in ohio) we met at his house as a family get together. we noticed that his big screen tv was gone and all of his jewlry was gone (quite expensive stuff). the executor (stepdaughter) said she took it, she wanted it! well we let that go also, what else could we do anyway! well a couple days later she (executor) passed everything out to her and her kids and her grandkids without inventorying this stuff! my wife the natural daughter, wanted a curio of her mothers and was turned down, she was told by executor that her daughter wanted it.
well theres more! the executor never told the estate attorney about quite a few items and she sold them and split up the money with everyone incluiding my wife, probably to keep her mouth shut. but anyway, one of the biggest things is she with held from my wife a life insurance policy that was not beneficiaried to my wife or anyone but the order the life ins. company went was in an order where my wife was next in line as beneficiary to receive all proceeds as natural daughter and step children wasnt included. we found out this is why executor with held this info from my wife while executor and attorney tried toi find a loop hole in policy so wife wouldnt be entitled to it.. also another huge thing is my wifes father won the ohio lottery and has 110,000 left as a pay out and executor never included this in the assets with the attorney. we are very concerned as to why she has done this.
there is much more devious actions done by step kids and exececutor but we dont want to write a days worth of reading on this.

we are want to know what my wifes rights are on these matters. are these devious step children removable from the will after these devious actions? we are almsot certain the executor can be removed from estate for these actions. but what santions can be imposed on the other step kids for there devious actions against his wishes, his estate, and his will! we have proof and witnesses of all of this fiasco and want them out of this will for thecrap they are pulling against my wife. they as step children have all turned against my wife (the only natural daughter)!

sorry about it being long and drawn out but trying to give you all info regarding this situation.
thanks

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (OHIO)?
i am going to try to make this as small as possible but there is a bit to tell you about so please bear with me on this.

my wifes father passed away and left a will that is going through probate. wife is the only natural daughter. the rest are step children,. he passed away wanting everything to be fair and of course that is why he left a will, hopeing things would be fair...
well things are not going as they should, he left the oldest step daughter as the executor expecting her to be fair, that is not the case!!
the day after he passed away all the step children went down to florida, where he lived 6 months of the year. while there they went through everything he owned and brought back a truck load of stuff and told my wife it was all junk and she didnt need to go through it. my wife, being the trust worthy person she is, didnt question her. as we seen her pass out items to her kids and grand kids while our kids got left out.. and found out that each of the step children that went down to florida came back with quite a few items for themselves and wife was left out!. NOW THE TRUST IN THE EXECUTOR IS GONE AT THIS POINT!
about 4 days later (the day after his funeral in ohio) we met at his house as a family get together. we noticed that his big screen tv was gone and all of his jewlry was gone (quite expensive stuff). the executor (stepdaughter) said she took it, she wanted it! well we let that go also, what else could we do anyway! well a couple days later she (executor) passed everything out to her and her kids and her grandkids without inventorying this stuff! my wife the natural daughter, wanted a curio of her mothers and was turned down, she was told by executor that her daughter wanted it.
well theres more! the executor never told the estate attorney about quite a few items and she sold them and split up the money with everyone incluiding my wife, probably to keep her mouth shut. but anyway, one of the biggest things is she with held from my wife a life insurance policy that was not beneficiaried to my wife or anyone but the order the life ins. company went was in an order where my wife was next in line as beneficiary to receive all proceeds as natural daughter and step children wasnt included. we found out this is why executor with held this info from my wife while executor and attorney tried toi find a loop hole in policy so wife wouldnt be entitled to it.. also another huge thing is my wifes father won the ohio lottery and has 110,000 left as a pay out and executor never included this in the assets with the attorney. we are very concerned as to why she has done this.

we are want to know what my wifes rights are on these matters. are these devious step children removable from the will after these devious actions? we are almsot certain the executor can be removed from estate for these actions. but what santions can be imposed on the other step kids for there devious actions against his wishes, his estate, and his will! we have proof and witnesses of all of this fiasco and want them out of this will for thecrap they are pulling against my wife. they as step children have all turned against my wife (the only natural daughter)!

sorry about it being long and drawn out but trying to give you all info regarding this situation.
thanks
Your wife needs to hire an attorney to protect her interests.

anteater

No, the stepchildren cannot be denied whatever the will grants to them.

A cynical, but wise, attorney once said with regard to a deceased's personal property (paraphrasing since I don't remember the exact wording):

"Unfortunately, whoever steals the deceased's personal property first usually gets it."

Your wife needs an attorney now. And, because it is personal property that is in dispute, she should expect a long fight. With any luck, the first contact that your wife's attorney makes with the executor and the executor's attorney will result in a solution rather than having to go all the way to court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">