• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marina owner a jerk!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Get er done

What is the name of your state?MS.
Two days before Hurricane Katrina struck my area I attempted to remove my boat from its wet slip. But, there was another boat that blocked my exit from my slip to the boat launch by tieing his boat off in the middle of a canal. It not only prevented myself, but all other boat owners as well from gaining access to the boat launch. The marina operator would not untie this boat, nor would he let me untie this boat, so I could gain access to the boat ramp and load my boat on its trailer. After much arguing with this guy I had no alternative but to moor my boat as best possible, knowing there was no way in hell it would survive this monster storm.

To make a long story short my boat was totaled. I have considered contacting an attorney but thought I would get some feedback before proceeding. What right did the marina owner have to prevent me from taking possession of my personal boat?

Thanks.

panzertanker

Get er done said:
What is the name of your state?MS.
Two days before Hurricane Katrina struck my area I attempted to remove my boat from its wet slip. But, there was another boat that blocked my exit from my slip to the boat launch by tieing his boat off in the middle of a canal. It not only prevented myself, but all other boat owners as well from gaining access to the boat launch. The marina operator would not untie this boat, nor would he let me untie this boat, so I could gain access to the boat ramp and load my boat on its trailer. After much arguing with this guy I had no alternative but to moor my boat as best possible, knowing there was no way in hell it would survive this monster storm.

To make a long story short my boat was totaled. I have considered contacting an attorney but thought I would get some feedback before proceeding. What right did the marina owner have to prevent me from taking possession of my personal boat?

Thanks.
His personal ramp?
He does not have to allow you access to his marina's ramp, if he chooses. You would have had to go to a public ramp to remove your boat from the water....

Get er done

The owner does not charge tenants of slips for usage of the ramp. He does charge the public. But, it's not so much his denying me usage of the marina's ramp, he denied access to any PUBLIC ramp by allowing a tenant to moor his boat in such a manner that blocked access to all boats, approximately 20, to a public canal. When I asked him why he allowed that boat owner to block the private canal he stated that particular owner had to "hurry up and get back to his home in Baton Rouge so he could secure items around his house". There are numerous ramps in that area so it's not a matter of using the marina's ramp, it is a matter of him allowing the private canal to be blocked by a tenant. The canal is a private man made canal used exclusively by marina tenants. This canal then leads to a natural public waterway. The owner paid to have the private canal dredged at the time the marina was constructed and is considered private property, leased to tenants. Again, it's not about using the marina's ramp, it's about denying my right to access to public waterways. I apologize if my first post centered around a ramp, and not access to a public waterway.

Also, all other marina's I have used take extreme measures to make sure as many boats as possible are REMOVED from slips, even during tropical storms. Some even require the trailer remain on site as well as an extra set of keys to the ignition. It's like this guy may have alternative motives. Could be an insurance "thing". After all, nothing will tear a marina up quicker then a bunch of boats flying around in 150mph winds and 25 ft tides. If his motive was destruction then he succeeded.

Thanks for you input.

Last edited:

Get er done

Up date on Marina owner and Hurricane

This is an update on the marina owners actions regarding Hurricane Kartrina. His insurance company has contacted me and I am in the process of obtaining all the documentation regarding the value of the boat. Once that is completed a settlement will be discussed.

Thanks for all the input.

Danny K.
got er done

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">