• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marriage and mortgages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ajs09876

What is the name of your state? MN

Does anyone know if I am married and buying a house does my husband's credit need to be used for getting the mortgage? I've heard different answers with each person I ask and can't seem to find it on google.

Gadfly

If you qualify without your husbands income then no, but if it takes his income to qualify, then yes.

However, you should know that when they pull a credit report on you any joint accounts will show up and affect your score.

ajs09876

Well, my fiance and I would like to get married. His credit is not so great, but mine is good. Not excellent, just good. We would like to buy a house in the next two years (we have a two year plan) but someone told me we should wait to get married until I buy the house or they will have to look at his credit because we are married. (I make enough to finance the house by myself.) Do you think getting married would be a problem (in regards to buying a house?)

LindaP777

Absolutely wait to get married to buy the house if you want it in both your names. If you buy the house now, get it in one name only, so if the relationship falls apart, the house is still yours.
(If you were married and the relationship falls apart, the house would be settled in a divorce and the judge would order what would be done with it. If you are not married, it becomes an ugly battle.)

G

gbarney04

I'm not an expert but I'm married and our houses have always been in my name alone (I purchased them on my own as well). If your future husband is anything like mine, you'll feel more financially secure having everything in your name.

LindaP777

I'm not an expert but I'm married and our houses have always been in my name alone (I purchased them on my own as well). If your future husband is anything like mine, you'll feel more financially secure having everything in your name.

Your situation is nothing like the OP's. You're married, they are not. Please do not add to the confusion by giving your unrelated example.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">