• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marriage for Visa/Citizenship (betrayal)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hixtreme45600

North Carolina, USA.

My friend who is a US citizen married a man from her country. They been married for approximately 5 years. They have 3 kids (born in US).

The husband just recently passed US Citizenship and applied for passport. The issue is this marriage was all a drama. The husband and his family wanted this marriage just so he can come to USA. They never really had a perfect marriage, and for over a year she is been living with her parents.

Are there any laws to deport him or anything my friend can do?

Last edited:

Proserpina

North Carolina, USA.

My friend who is a US citizen married a man from her country. They been married for approximately 5 years. They have 3 kids (born in US).

The husband just recently passed US Citizenship and applied for passport. The issue is this marriage was all a drama. The husband and his family wanted this marriage just so he can come to USA. They never really had a perfect marriage, and for over a year she is been living with her parents.

Are there any laws to deport him or anything my friend can do?

3 kids, 5 years = no immigration fraud.

Your friend needs to get over it and move on. She frankly should be REALLY glad that he's attained citizenship because if he hadn't, she could be on the hook for supporting him PERMANENTLY.

As in FOREVER.

As it is, if he's actually now a naturalized citizen, she has no such obligation.

Mass_Shyster

Your friend could sign a statement admitting that the marriage was fraudulent, and possibly have hubby stripped of his citizenship and deported.

The down side is that she would be facing ten years in Federal prison, followed by three years of supervised release and a $250,000 fine for fraud and misuse of an immigration visa. Since you mentioned "Her country", I'll note that if she is a naturalized citizen, she could also be stripped of her citizenship and deported.

Since the kids were born in the US, they'll get to stay here, probably in foster care.

OHRoadwarrior

The ship for revenge has sailed. As long as this marriage lasted, even I, the anti-immigration advocate, don't believe her story. If his goal was immigration, he would not have created 3 dependents to support in the US. I think she is casting the stones of a scorned woman.

Proserpina

The ship for revenge has sailed. As long as this marriage lasted, even I, the anti-immigration advocate, don't believe her story. If his goal was immigration, he would not have created 3 dependents to support in the US. I think she is casting the stones of a scorned woman.

Psst...look again at Steve's post.

;) :cool:

hixtreme45600

Thanks for everyone's input, if she knew from day one this was a fraud, OF-COURSE she wouldn't did it.

Also, he recently (past 3 years) started acting weird (not caring, not providing, being abusive etc) And when you try to talk to the husbands parents, they say we got what we wanted.

Oh yes last but not least she never call the popo on him. He is not raising or paying ANYTHING for his kids. The mom and grandparents are taking care of them.

She never even called the cops when he hit her a few times.

So you tell me who the victim here.

I guess it's easy for men to say...

Proserpina

Thanks for everyone's input, if she knew from day one this was a fraud, OF-COURSE she wouldn't did it.

Also, he recently (past 3 years) started acting weird (not caring, not providing, being abusive etc) And when you try to talk to the husbands parents, they say we got what we wanted.

Oh yes last but not least she never call the popo on him. He is not raising or paying ANYTHING for his kids. The mom and grandparents are taking care of them.

The "popo"? Really? What are you....12?

I suggest you start practicing the fine art of MYOB.

You're welcome.

ecmst12

She can file for child support like evry other single mom, and seek therapy to attempt to regain her self respect.

OHRoadwarrior

I want my daughter to be a millionaire. That doesn't mean she needs to commit fraud to become one.

When you marry someone from another country, you become subject to the nuances of their upbringing and social structure. She was certainly a very willing party to their creation, why isn't she taking care of the children she bore?

Just Blue

Past 3 years out of a FIVE year marriage in "recent"? IMO that is the majority of the marriage. "Friend" also had children with this "abuser" AFTER the "abuse" and "financial neglect".

And why would you call the husbands parents?
you try to talk to the husbands parents, they say we got what we wanted

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Well if hubby has a new love, wifey can sue the new love -- provided she doesn't have a new love. She might want to check with an attorney if hubby has a new lover about alienation of affection/criminal conversation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">