• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marriage invalid?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

janM

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

A couple travels from Ohio to Kentucky to get married because the latter doesn't require a license. Man discovers a year later, after they have separated, that woman was not divorced from her husband (hence the reason she didn't want to get married in Ohio, it seems). Is the marriage invalid, and/or does the man need to go to Kentucky for an anullment? Do they both have to do this?

I'mTheFather

He'll have to do something. He can get an annulment, but only within a year of finding out his wife was already married.

http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/KRS/403-00/120.PDF

(C'mon Jan, you could have done that!)

janM

He'll have to do something. He can get an annulment, but only within a year of finding out his wife was already married.

Yeah, I could have, but I wasn't sure if it needed to be handled in KY or OH or both.
(Can you believe item 1b??)

Thanks.

FlyingRon

The annulment would have to be done in the state he was married in. Divorce can be done where he resides.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The annulment can be granted in Ohio. Husband is a putative spouse. Also, husband should report wife for bigamy so that she can be prosecuted for the felony.

Lixim

Yeah, I was thinking it would be illegal on the wife's part. Why couldn't she cover all ends before she ended up in another marriage? Might show what kind of person you're married to now though...

janM

Yeah, I was thinking it would be illegal on the wife's part. Why couldn't she cover all ends before she ended up in another marriage? Might show what kind of person you're married to now though...
Yeah, it does show the kind of person she is, as he found out. He had already kicked her to the curb before he found out about the deceipt.

janM

The annulment can be granted in Ohio. Husband is a putative spouse. Also, husband should report wife for bigamy so that she can be prosecuted for the felony.
OG, do you know a ballpark figure an attorney would charge for this in Wayne county? I know this site doesn't do referrals, but do some ever do these pro bono? He makes too much for legal aid.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
OG, do you know a ballpark figure an attorney would charge for this in Wayne county? I know this site doesn't do referrals, but do some ever do these pro bono? He makes too much for legal aid.
The prosecutor will prosecute her for free. Wayne County you might find someone to do it pro bono depending. But if not he is looking at a retainer for $1k or so and roughly $175 an hour.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

KY law doesn't apply to Ohio residents. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">