• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marrying an immigrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

Somebody else could sign it - doesn't have to be you.
I agree, someone else could be the financial sponsor. If the person marrying the immigrant cannot qualify, financially, to sponsor the immigrant then sometimes a family member or friend will do so. It is however a major "ask" and It would take some really extraordinary circumstances for me to agree to something like that.

bcr229

No, it does not. You have to provide the support so that they will never have to even apply for public aid/welfare. Unless of course they are self supporting under the law's definition of self supporting. This is a deal you make with the government in order to keep them in the US on a permanent basis.
Plus it's owed in addition to child support and any awarded alimony.
Somebody else could sign it - doesn't have to be you.
I wouldn't put that potential financial risk on a friend or family member, even the ones I don't like very much.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Plus it's owed in addition to child support and any awarded alimony.

I wouldn't put that potential financial risk on a friend or family member, even the ones I don't like very much.
Oh, no question there. I was simply pointing out that it doesn't *have* to be the OP who sponsors the woman.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The bolded does not apply when marriage is involved. It applies in most other cases, but not that one. Marriage AND sponsorship would keep her here, baring of course any extraordinary circumstances, like failing the background check due to a criminal record.
My cousin married someone who did not have a criminal record and overstayed and he was deported at her cost. He couldn't change status until he was deported. So that is not quite true.

LdiJ

My cousin married someone who did not have a criminal record and overstayed and he was deported at her cost. He couldn't change status until he was deported. So that is not quite true.
There must be something that you don't know about your cousin's situation because that is unusual in a marriage situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">