• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mass laws when I'm renting a room???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RayRip

I need some advise, please!
So, I live in Mass and about 6months ago I responded to a craigslist ad about a room for rent. The room was in a 2 bdrm apartment that I thought at the time was a condo owned by the man renting it. He seemed like a decent guy and I agreed to rent the room on a monthly basis, paying him 1st and last month's rent when moving in. He didn't have any sort of "lease" because he said he had never rented out ther room before so i wrote up just an informal agreement saying that I was renting the room, how much for, where it was and that I had given him first and last month's rent. That was 5months ago. Since then, I have found out that not only is this place NOT a condo that he owns, but it is some sort of subsidized housing that he gets from the state. It turns out that he has a 13yr old son ( that he failed to mention) who sleeps on the couch. Now, I am ready to move and my rent is paid up until May15, 2016 and I also still have my last month's rent That I paid, so that brings me to June 15, 2016 but here's ther kicker...he is telling me that I have to leave asap. Apparently the owners of the building have found out that I live here and apparently he is not allowed to rent out the room!! So please, someone, anyone, let me know what rights, if any I have. He wants me gone within days and I have no where to go. He doesn't want to refund me any out my money either! I feel bad that he's gotten into trouble for renting the room to me but I had no clue moving in here that he wasn't allowed to rent out a room! If I had known, I never would've rented this place. Do I have any rights, can I legally stay thru the dates I paid rent for or do i have to leave within the next 2days like he says????

xylene

Tell your landlord (The guy you pay rent to with whom you have a rental agreement) that he nneds give you 30 days notice. If this is impacting his tenancy and he is going to get evicted that is his problem. ;)

He wants you go get gone asap he needs to break out his wallet and

1. Refund the rent you've already paid for this money. (the entire rent not prorated)
2. Pay you some reasonable amount of money for having to move in a hurry. I'd say like .5 to 1.5 months rent. That's gonna depend on this dude's fiances, the local housing market and how good a negotiator you are.

Just Blue

I need some advise, please!
So, I live in Mass and about 6months ago I responded to a craigslist ad about a room for rent. The room was in a 2 bdrm apartment that I thought at the time was a condo owned by the man renting it. He seemed like a decent guy and I agreed to rent the room on a monthly basis, paying him 1st and last month's rent when moving in. He didn't have any sort of "lease" because he said he had never rented out ther room before so i wrote up just an informal agreement saying that I was renting the room, how much for, where it was and that I had given him first and last month's rent. That was 5months ago. Since then, I have found out that not only is this place NOT a condo that he owns, but it is some sort of subsidized housing that he gets from the state. It turns out that he has a 13yr old son ( that he failed to mention) who sleeps on the couch. Now, I am ready to move and my rent is paid up until May15, 2016 and I also still have my last month's rent That I paid, so that brings me to June 15, 2016 but here's ther kicker...he is telling me that I have to leave asap. Apparently the owners of the building have found out that I live here and apparently he is not allowed to rent out the room!! So please, someone, anyone, let me know what rights, if any I have. He wants me gone within days and I have no where to go. He doesn't want to refund me any out my money either! I feel bad that he's gotten into trouble for renting the room to me but I had no clue moving in here that he wasn't allowed to rent out a room! If I had known, I never would've rented this place. Do I have any rights, can I legally stay thru the dates I paid rent for or do i have to leave within the next 2days like he says????
You would have to be evicted per LL/Tenant Law of Mass. Look for a new place...But you can NOT be forced out by either the LL or your room-mate.

Gail in Georgia

You do not have to leave in 2 days. It is your "landlord" who is in trouble for renting out rooms without permission from his landlord. He may find himself facing an eviction but this will all take time. In the meantime, he can refund your rent from now until June 15th so you may find another place to stay or you can continue to enjoy your current rental situation until June 15th.

It is unlikely any eviction will be finished by June 15th but if it is and you have to leave sooner you can consider suing this guy for any remaining rent you have paid.

Gail

RayRip

Thank you all for your replies, maybe you can help me with this also:
The keys to the apartment building are all electronic, both to get in the front door and to get into the apartment, as of last Friday, my key stopped working. I brought it to the attention of the man I rent the room from and he said it must have become demagnetized or something. Now he's saying that it's because the management of the apartment building found out that I am staying here and they electronically turned off my key....so now, in order to get in, I have to wait until my "roomate" ( the man I rent from) is home and can buzz me in. Yesterday, I had to wait outside in the rain for over an hour for him to get home. Should I approach ther management out the buildingl? Do you think if i show them my rental receipts they will give me a key? Or do I have to just tough it out and come and go on his terms until I move out?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thank you all for your replies, maybe you can help me with this also:
The keys to the apartment building are all electronic, both to get in the front door and to get into the apartment, as of last Friday, my key stopped working. I brought it to the attention of the man I rent the room from and he said it must have become demagnetized or something. Now he's saying that it's because the management of the apartment building found out that I am staying here and they electronically turned off my key....so now, in order to get in, I have to wait until my "roomate" ( the man I rent from) is home and can buzz me in. Yesterday, I had to wait outside in the rain for over an hour for him to get home. Should I approach ther management out the buildingl? Do you think if i show them my rental receipts they will give me a key? Or do I have to just tough it out and come and go on his terms until I move out?
You could call the police about being illegally locked out of the residence.

STEPHAN

In future make sure that you have a written lease. If the potential LL does not want to give you one, move on.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">