• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Maternity Expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Humusluvr

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Originally posted by Ohiogal https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=389948

722.712 Child born out of wedlock; liability of parents.
Sec. 2.

(1) The parents of a child born out of wedlock are liable for the necessary support and education of the child. They are also liable for the child's funeral expenses. Subject to subsections (2) and (3), based on each parent's ability to pay and on any other relevant factor, the court may apportion, in the same manner as medical expenses of the child are divided under the child support formula, the reasonable and necessary expenses of the mother's confinement and expenses in connection with her pregnancy between the parents and require the parent who did not pay the expense to pay his or her share of the expense to the other parent. At the request of a person other than a parent who has paid the expenses of the mother's confinement or expenses in connection with her pregnancy, the court may order a parent against whom the request is made to pay to the person other than a parent the parent's share of the expenses.

(2) If a pregnancy or a complication of a pregnancy has been determined in another proceeding to have been the result of either a physical or sexual battery by a party to the case, the court shall apportion these expenses to the party who was the perpetrator of the battery.

(3) If medicaid has paid the confinement and pregnancy expenses of a mother under this section, the court shall not apportion confinement and pregnancy expenses to the mother. After the effective date of the amendatory act that added this subsection, based on the father's ability to pay and any other relevant factor, the court may apportion not more than 100% of the reasonable and necessary confinement and pregnancy costs to the father. If medicaid has not paid the confinement and pregnancy expenses of the mother under this section, the court shall require an itemized bill for the expenses upon request from the father before an apportionment is made.

(4) The court order shall provide that if the father marries the mother after the birth of the child and provides documentation of the marriage to the friend of the court, the father's obligation for payment of any remaining unpaid confinement and pregnancy expenses is abated subject to reinstatement after notice and hearing for good cause shown, including, but not limited to, dissolution of the marriage. The remaining unpaid amount of the confinement and pregnancy expenses owed by the father is abated as of the date that documentation of the marriage is provided to the friend of the court.

(5) Each confinement and pregnancy expenses order entered by the court on or before the effective date of the amendatory act that added this subsection shall be considered by operation of law to provide for the abatement of the remaining unpaid confinement and pregnancy expenses if the father marries the mother and shall be implemented under the same circumstances and enforced in the same manner as for the abatement of confinement and pregnancy expenses provided by subsection (4).

(6) The court shall admit in proceedings under this act a bill for funeral expenses, expenses of the mother's confinement, or expenses in connection with the mother's pregnancy, which bill constitutes prima facie evidence of the amount of those expenses, without third party foundation testimony.
I'm doing my research in the forums concerning child support and came across this post response by Ohiogal.

My question is - How does one go about asking for help from the father concerning maternity expenses?

Is this part of filling out the child support papers with the CSEA?

Do you have to go to court to get this? Is it something a lawyer has to ask for or can it be requested by the mother?

What maternity expenses exactly does it cover? Only medical bills related to the pregnancy (it was a very complicated pregnancy)? I missed 60 days of work, unpaid, while on bedrest and in the hospital. Thats "expenses of the mother's confinement, or expenses in connection with the mother's pregnancy" unless I'm interpreting wrong.

We made a plan for us to split the pregnancy/childbirth/son's bills 50/50 back at the beginning of the pregnancy, but so far - I'm the one who has paid all the bills.

Thanks for any advice.

Humusluvr

I did have the baby, Feb 15th, born three weeks prematurely.

Baby was born in Ohio. I ran into some serious health complications, and was hospitalized in Texas, on the Mexican border. I received poor care, was discharged, and my father came to Texas and got me because I was unable to care for myself. If I had stayed in Texas, I truly believe either myself or the baby would not have made it. I received exceptional care in Ohio.

I am not released by my doctors yet to travel back to Texas and either finish the school year or pack up my house. I don't know what will happen in Texas. All I know is I am working on getting a job and a house in Ohio, but I am currently residing with my parents while I am unable to drive, my vision is out, and I can't care for myself. I lost most of my vision during my c section when my blood vessels burst in my eyes. I have had four eye surgeries since the birth, but I still can't see yet. I am also having problems with my diabetes and low blood sugars. Bless my parents for taking care of me and my baby during our difficult time.

I really just want to get back to normal. I miss having a routine, teaching, and having a life. I want to take care of my baby on my own. I want to get started paying on all these bills, but I guess I am looking for some info from y'all first.

I didn't realize it was Michigan statute. Can someone point me towards Ohio?

thanks

Silverplum

Congratulations!!! :) :) :)

Try sending a PM to Ohiogal. Point her to this thread, ask for help. She IS an OH attorney, after all, and the best qualified to answer. ;)

fairisfair

Try sending a PM to Ohiogal. Point her to this thread, ask for help. She IS an OH attorney, after all, and the best qualified to answer. ;)
Keep in mind that OG is on vacation this week, and is only perusing the boards intermittently. If she doesn't anwer you (OP) right away, don't blow a gasket.:D

Humusluvr

Muchos gracias! This baby has truly been a miracle.

I will do that, I just wanted to see if anyone else had any words of wisdom here. Or experiences to share.

It has been difficult in doing my research because so many of the sites deal with divorcing couples. Hard to find info on never-been-married moms and dads. I was hoping Ohiogal would post here to keep it as a reference. she was already so helpful in obtaining the paperwork. she actually works in the county I'll be filing in! Small world!!!

Really, everyone here has been so helpful to me, preparing me for this experience. I have enjoyed reading for several months. It's my dirty little pleasure :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Humusluvr

Keep in mind that OG is on vacation this week, and is only perusing the boards intermittently. If she doesn't anwer you (OP) right away, don't blow a gasket.:D
No gaskets will be blown. I have until at least April 28th before the doc will even consider sending me back to work - so between blown-out diapers, I read :D:D:D:D I never knew diapers could hold such surprises!

Rushia

No gaskets will be blown. I have until at least April 28th before the doc will even consider sending me back to work - so between blown-out diapers, I read :D:D:D:D I never knew diapers could hold such surprises!
My DH was under the impression that little guys couldn't make such messes. He was wrong....:D

Rushia

I did have the baby, Feb 15th, born three weeks prematurely.

Baby was born in Ohio. I ran into some serious health complications, and was hospitalized in Texas, on the Mexican border. I received poor care, was discharged, and my father came to Texas and got me because I was unable to care for myself. If I had stayed in Texas, I truly believe either myself or the baby would not have made it. I received exceptional care in Ohio.

I am not released by my doctors yet to travel back to Texas and either finish the school year or pack up my house. I don't know what will happen in Texas. All I know is I am working on getting a job and a house in Ohio, but I am currently residing with my parents while I am unable to drive, my vision is out, and I can't care for myself. I lost most of my vision during my c section when my blood vessels burst in my eyes. I have had four eye surgeries since the birth, but I still can't see yet. I am also having problems with my diabetes and low blood sugars. Bless my parents for taking care of me and my baby during our difficult time.

I really just want to get back to normal. I miss having a routine, teaching, and having a life. I want to take care of my baby on my own. I want to get started paying on all these bills, but I guess I am looking for some info from y'all first.

I didn't realize it was Michigan statute. Can someone point me towards Ohio?

thanks

Wow, I shot right by this post...

First, Congrats on the Baby! Please nickname accordingly so we can all get use to it. Incase you missed it mine are Punk (boy 8), Peanut (girl 6) and Pipsqueak (boy 11months).

Sorry for everything that happened. Glad that you and baby are OK and have such wonderful parents to help you! Hope you feel better soon!

ETA for CC: No news yet and getting very frustrated! Sorry for the hijack Hum!

Humusluvr

Wow, I shot right by this post...

First, Congrats on the Baby! Please nickname accordingly so we can all get use to it. Incase you missed it mine are Punk (boy 8), Peanut (girl 6) and Pipsqueak (boy 11months).

Sorry for everything that happened. Glad that you and baby are OK and have such wonderful parents to help you! Hope you feel better soon!

ETA for CC: No news yet and getting very frustrated! Sorry for the hijack Hum!
Thanks! I did nickname him - Guppy :) I have also been calling him Pooper lately....

I love your nicknames, the P gang!

You know, it sounds bad, but I believe I got through the whole thing amazingly well. Everyone is still alive (Thank you lord!) and we have all our limbs and other appropriate body parts. I feel very blessed!

Rushia

Thanks! I did nickname him - Guppy :) I have also been calling him Pooper lately....

I love your nicknames, the P gang!

You know, it sounds bad, but I believe I got through the whole thing amazingly well. Everyone is still alive (Thank you lord!) and we have all our limbs and other appropriate body parts. I feel very blessed!
Guppy, I love it!

Most of the time, that's all that matters! We'll keep you and Guppy in our prayers!

wileybunch

Congratulations, humusluvr! Your life will be back to normal in no time -- in about 18 years. :D

Enjoy him and this time. Glad everything turned out well.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Muchos gracias! This baby has truly been a miracle.

I will do that, I just wanted to see if anyone else had any words of wisdom here. Or experiences to share.

It has been difficult in doing my research because so many of the sites deal with divorcing couples. Hard to find info on never-been-married moms and dads. I was hoping Ohiogal would post here to keep it as a reference. she was already so helpful in obtaining the paperwork. she actually works in the county I'll be filing in! Small world!!!

Really, everyone here has been so helpful to me, preparing me for this experience. I have enjoyed reading for several months. It's my dirty little pleasure :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You have to file in court NOT THROUGH CSEA in order to get reimbursed for your child support until birth (as opposed to filing) and for the birth expenses. CSEA will get you future support but NOT past support. Only the court will do it. It takes more time but you go that route. My county huh?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">