• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Maternity leave for Upper or Middle Management

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

westanza

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I work for a national company but I don't qualify for FMLA because there aren't at least 50 employees within 75 miles. As of right now, my company has offered me six weeks PFL plus two weeks vacation. Does this sound right?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

st-kitts

Your employer is wrong. While you are not FMLA or CFRA covered you are covered by Pregnancy Disability Leave. Go to the Fair Employment And Housing Commission website for details.

Pregnancy Disability Leave (PDL) can cover prenatal visits, intermittent leave, reduced work schedule, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, including postpartum depression
PDL:
 Ers with 5 or more Eees are covered.
 No eligibility
Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA), (Gov. Code § 12945, Cal. Code Regs., tit. 2, § 7291.2, et seq.)

westanza

This is so confusing! Do I have this correct?

PDL: up to 4 months leave but the norm is 4 weeks before delivery (if needed) and 6 weeks pp (if natural delivery) and 8 weeks pp (if c-section). Job is protected.

PFL: 6 weeks, 55% of weekly wages, no job protection?

st-kitts

This is so confusing! Do I have this correct?

PDL: up to 4 months leave but the norm is 4 weeks before delivery (if needed) and 6 weeks pp (if natural delivery) and 8 weeks pp (if c-section). Job is protected.

PFL: 6 weeks, 55% of weekly wages, no job protection?
You don't choose one or the other. PDL provides job protection. PFL provides pay under qualifying situations. They are not mutally exclusive. They are separate things entirely. You can get booklets on PFL on the CA gov website and your employer is required to provide them when you go out on certain types of leave.

westanza

You don't choose one or the other. PDL provides job protection. PFL provides pay under qualifying situations. They are not mutally exclusive. They are separate things entirely. You can get booklets on PFL on the CA gov website and your employer is required to provide them when you go out on certain types of leave.
Oh dear. I didn't mean to imply that I thought they were mutually exclusive, just asking if I was correct about each one. Thank you.

Betty

You are entitled up to 4 months of job protected leave for any period of actual disability due to pregnancy (this applies to employers with 5 or more employees). For a normal pregnancy, this is usually 4 weeks prior and 6 weeks after birth. If you paid into it (you probably did), you get Ca. SDI (state disability income/ins.) to get paid while off on disability leave.

PFL is income you get while off on bonding leave. However; since you don't qualify for time off under FMLA/CFRA, you employer can legally deny you bonding leave.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">