• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mechanic changing repairs and giving false dates.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MPdoor

What is the name of your state? Orlando

My car has been in mechanic shop for 2months. Mechanics keep saying they missed parts and keep asking insurance to send inspector down and adjust the claim. They have done this four times. I have no other car and has left me traveling 3 hours to work on bus, train, and uber one way, every day. transportation half the time is more than what I make at work. At this point it would have been cheaper to just pay the mechanics myself and not file a claim, because it was only 3k of damages to car. The garage has given a date I would be able to pick it up 5 times, and then took it back and said they missed a part. I have informed my boss and others of when I'd have a car again based off of their dates. I'm wondering what I'd be able to sue them for, false estimates? Negligence? I don't know much about the law. (I also recorded the mechanics a couple times giving those dates just in case i needed proof in court)

doucar

Unfortunately it wouldn't matter if you paid for it or the insurance company paid for it, if the parts are unavailable they can't finish the job. and no based on what you posted, you have nothing to sue for.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Orlando

My car has been in mechanic shop for 2months. Mechanics keep saying they missed parts and keep asking insurance to send inspector down and adjust the claim. They have done this four times. I have no other car and has left me traveling 3 hours to work on bus, train, and uber one way, every day. transportation half the time is more than what I make at work. At this point it would have been cheaper to just pay the mechanics myself and not file a claim, because it was only 3k of damages to car. The garage has given a date I would be able to pick it up 5 times, and then took it back and said they missed a part. I have informed my boss and others of when I'd have a car again based off of their dates. I'm wondering what I'd be able to sue them for, false estimates? Negligence? I don't know much about the law. (I also recorded the mechanics a couple times giving those dates just in case i needed proof in court)
sigh...

There is no state named "Orlando". There are 8 states with cities called "Orlando".

What is the name of the state?

https://geotargit.com/citiespercountry.php?qcountry_code=US&qcity=Orlando

MPdoor

Unfortunately it wouldn't matter if you paid for it or the insurance company paid for it, if the parts are unavailable they can't finish the job. and no based on what you posted, you have nothing to sue for.
they have access to parts, its that they missed the fact that they needed them when looking at the car and then had to go buy them and update claims.

MPdoor

Sorry, nothing to sue for.

Don't you have rental coverage?
My insurance deductible is 500 dollars, I have coverage, but they said they dont pay for transportation fees or rentals, or tow trucks. I'm unsure if that is true or a state standard with the most basic plan. So should i just contact insurance about this?

doucar

If you don't pay for the coverage of rental car, they do not have to provide it. It is often the case that once they begin the work they find more or different damage and must contact the insurance company for a new estimate. But this appears to be taking way to long, and I would contact the insurance company.

adjusterjack

My insurance deductible is 500 dollars, I have coverage, but they said they dont pay for transportation fees or rentals, or tow trucks. I'm unsure if that is true or a state standard with the most basic plan. So should i just contact insurance about this?
I have a better idea. Take out your policy. Put it on the table in front of you. Find the page that summarizes your coverages. It's called the Declarations page and is usually at the top. Now follow along with me.

At the top of the page you should see the name of the insurance company, possibly the name of the agent, if there is one. You'll see your name and address, the policy number, and the policy dates.

Further along you should see your car listed along with its VIN, an annual mileage classification, and possibly codes for discounts.

Then you'll find a list of your coverages. There may be a premium listed next to each.

Two figures for Bodily Injury Liability.
One figure for Property Damage Liability
One figure for Medical Payments if you bought it.
Collision and your deductible.
Comprehensive (also known as Other Than Collision) and your deductible.
Rental Reimbursement if you bought it.
Towing if you bought it.

If Rental Reimbursement and Towing aren't shown, then you didn't buy them and you don't have them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">