• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mechanic has our truck for 12 months

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SkyMaster

What is the name of your state? Nevada

We brought our Dodge 3500 (1 Ton) truck to a mechanic September 19, to replace the wiring harness. He asked for $3,000 to buy the wiring harness. We gave him a check.

We've been calling him all this year to get our truck back. He has an excuse every time, like it's too cold, the ground is too soft, etc. Then in May he said he would have it done. June he said his girlfriend was sick. But we went to his shop, and he was there; but not working on our truck.

How do we get our truck back? Done or not!

What happens if a miracle happens and he fixes the truck? He is going to want to be paid. We don't want to pay him for all the trouble he has caused.

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Nevada

We brought 3500 truck to a mechanic September 19, to replace the wiring harness. He asked for $3,000 to buy the wiring harness. We gave him a check.

We've been calling him all this year to get our truck back. He has an excuse every time, like it's too cold, the ground is too soft, etc. Then in May he said he would have it done. June he said his girlfriend was sick. But we went to his shop, and he was there; but not working on our truck.

How do we get our truck back? Done or not!

What happens if a miracle happens and he fixes the truck? He is going to want to be paid. We don't want to pay him for all the trouble he has caused.
I can just about guarantee that the money you gave him to buy the wiring harness was spent on something else, and the reason your truck isn't done is because he can't come up with the money to buy your wiring harness.

Show up there and demand your truck, take a tow truck with you if necessary. Then you will have to sue him to try to get back your money. Call the police if he won't release your truck.

zddoodah

We brought 3500 truck to a mechanic September 19
What does "3500 truck" mean? Is that your assessment of the truck's value?

How do we get our truck back?
Assuming the truck is not drivable, make arrangements with a towing company to meet you where the truck is located and have to towed to a legitimate auto repair facility. Then demand your money back and file in small claims court if you don't get it. If you're so inclined, give him one final warning before you do this.

You said you've already paid him.

adjusterjack

He asked for $3,000 to buy the wiring harness.
Reputable repair shops rarely ask for money up front. They have credit with their suppliers.

He has an excuse every time, like it's too cold, the ground is too soft, etc.
Too cold? The ground too soft?

Is this somebody working on vehicles at his house?

A reputable repair shop has concrete floors and heat.

If he finishes the job you pay him, or he has a lien on the truck, might even be able to hold it hostage depending on your state's lien laws.

LdiJ

Assuming the truck is not drivable, make arrangements with a towing company to meet you where the truck is located and have to towed to a legitimate auto repair facility. Then demand your money back and file in small claims court if you don't get it. If you're so inclined, give him one final warning before you do this.

It's a shortened version of the name of a brand of truck. Ram 3500.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I apologize...apparently 3500 refers to the tonnage of the truck. A 3500 is a one ton truck, of many brands.
No apologies needed - you said nothing wrong. I meant it more as a clarification/expansion.

SkyMaster

I can just about guarantee that the money you gave him to buy the wiring harness was spent on something else. And the reason your truck isn't done is because he can't come up with the money to buy your wiring harness.
I was thinking the same thing!

Show up there and demand your truck, take a tow truck with you if necessary. Then you will have to sue him to try to get back your money. Call the police if he won't release your truck.
I'll do that this weekend.
Thanks.

SkyMaster

No, I'm sorry. It is the size of the truck. It is a Dodge 3500 (One Ton) truck.

Assuming the truck is not drivable, make arrangements with a towing company to meet you where the truck is located and have to towed to a legitimate auto repair facility.
Then demand your money back and file in small claims court if you don't get it. If you're so inclined, give him one final warning before you do this.
Sounds good. I will give him until Friday.

That sounds really good! That is a good point!
Thank you

SkyMaster

Too cold? The ground too soft?

Is this somebody working on vehicles at his house?

A reputable repair shop has concrete floors and heat.
No he has a shop, with a sign, and even banners advertising what he does.

He said the truck is too big for his shop. :rolleyes:

If he finishes the job you pay him, or he has a lien on the truck, might even be able to hold it hostage depending on your state's lien laws.
oh darn!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">