• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mechanic scam?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rav4driver

Hi group!

I am desperately seeking advice on some work I am having done on my 2020 Toyota Rav4 XLE. I recently had some damage from hitting a light pole and went to a close friend who is a mechanic for repairs. He said there was no internal damage and quoted me around 5k for parts and labor and said he may need up to another 1k but not likely. I stupidly did not get this on paper, paid him up front, but do have text message confirmation of this information. He kindly lent me a car to keep until the repairs were done which he said could be 2-3 weeks depending how long parts take to get in.

A month later, he has asked for more money, I gave it to him assuming it was labor he said he may need in addition to the 5k, and my car was almost done. He has not given me any updates on the parts, repair work done, etc. I asked for an update and he said the parts (bumper/fender/headlights) are still being shipped (2-3 weeks out) and I still owe him for all the labor to be done (which technically is nothing if he hasn’t even gotten the parts) and part of this includes personal labor of making phone calls and searching for parts as well as an “I O U” to which I responded asking what that was for and never received any responses after that.

I requested him to send me a receipt with pricing of the parts and estimated labor fees to which he responded he can send me and days later he continues to avoid me when I call and ask for it.

I am feeling very stupid and realizing my mistakes of course, we have been very close family friends for years and he has never been distrusting or ‘greedy’, but I am feeling very uneasy about this situation. my question is: How do I handle this? Do I demand the receipt otherwise is it reasonable to ask for ALL of my money back? If so, and he does not give me my money back, takes the car he loaned me, what then? I will have literally $0 to get my car fixed and then also be out of a car to drive impacting my ability to work and actually make money…

Please be kind in your advice as I know I made some obvious mistakes. I just want to find the best course of action to take moving forward. Thanks so much

adjusterjack

I'll bet he's done no work at all.

Go get your car and demand your money back.

I'll bet he doesn't have the money anymore.

rav4driver

That’s what I’m thinking… how can you ask for money for parts, then not have parts, ask for more money for labor, but not have actually done any of the work yet… I’m assuming he spent it on whatever else. So he probably does not have the money.

if that’s the case, how do I get my money back? Do I have a valid case for court?

adjusterjack

how can you ask for money for parts, then not have parts, ask for more money for labor, but not have actually done any of the work yet…
The how is explained by the did. Asking about it is futile.

I’m assuming he spent it on whatever else. So he probably does not have the money.
Correct.

if that’s the case, how do I get my money back? Do I have a valid case for court?
Sure. But winning in court doesn't mean that you ever see a nickel. I know all about that. I used to own rentals. Had a few uncollectible judgments.

Why don't you start by stopping by the shop and asking you see your car, the invoices to order the parts, etc?

Do you still his the loaner car?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">