• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medicaid taking home and right of one living in the home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Arizona. In Senior community. My neighbor is 63 y.o. female existing on age 62-social security. She is unable to work and should be on disability, but no medical insurance and no money for doctor; she needs to file bankruptcy and cannot afford a lawyer.

She and 90 y.o. mother live in under-water condo. Mother has beginning Altzheimers. Mother needs nursing home. Medicaid will take the under-water condo for mother's care, and her Social Security payment, right? Assume condo in mother's name only.

QUESTION: My neighbor, who has lived in the home over 1 year, cannot afford the mortgage w/o mom's check. So how long will my neighbor have before she is thrown on on the street.

[this posted originally in ElderCare and I asked that it be deleted there]

nextwife

If Medicaid takes the home, friend can likely find some bargain priced condo or house she can buy using her own accrued retirement and savings. Age 62 is still young, she should plan to continue working till at least age 65, likely longer. (i'm 56, hubby is 65 and we expect to both work way past age 65) At 65 or so, she can use BOTH her social security and earned income toward her housing.

Mom's assets need to pay for mom's care.

In whose name is mtg and title?

Last edited:

anteater

Medicaid is not going to "take" the residence. They would place a lien on it. But, if it is underwater and nobody is going to pay the mortgage, that won't mean much.

Realistically, the neighbor probably has as long as it takes the lender to foreclose.

Medicaid is not going to "take" the residence. They would place a lien on it. But, if it is underwater and nobody is going to pay the mortgage, that won't mean much.

Realistically, the neighbor probably has as long as it takes the lender to foreclose.
Thank you for reply. It is underwater and nothing is selling here. Does "..lender to foreclose." mean they put a lock on the door with her stuff in it? Or will they give her a drop-dead date?

Myneighbor is disabled and has no money for a doc--she cannot work and pay the mortgage.

Very bad situation here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">