• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Bills Reinbursement

• Thread starter CarAccidentForu
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CarAccidentForu

I recently settled a claim for a car accident I was in 6 months ago. My question revolves arround the reinbursement for bodily injury. My medical bill was $200 the insurance company (Mercury Ins) said they would pay me $500 plus I negotiated for additional $600 for lost wages. So far so good, but then they said well since we received a copy of your Kaiser bill for the $200 we will deduct that from your refund. I asked why, but did not get an answer. I mean isn't this why I have medical coverage through Kaiser, and also doesn't my car insurance, Allstate cover it as well?

Thanks,
Greg
Sacramento, CA

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

CarAccidentForu said:
I recently settled a claim for a car accident I was in 6 months ago. My question revolves arround the reinbursement for bodily injury. My medical bill was $200 the insurance company (Mercury Ins) said they would pay me $500 plus I negotiated for additional $600 for lost wages. So far so good, but then they said well since we received a copy of your Kaiser bill for the $200 we will deduct that from your refund. I asked why, but did not get an answer. I mean isn't this why I have medical coverage through Kaiser, and also doesn't my car insurance, Allstate cover it as well?

Thanks,
Greg
Sacramento, CA

My response:

Thanks for cooperating.

As promised, here's what I believe to be your answer. Kaiser has "reimburseable medicals". You signed an agreement with your policy, and you also signed an acknowledgment of that agreement when you sought medical attention from Kaiser.

So now, Mercury is directly paying Kaiser as and for reimbursement, and taking the matter out of your hands.

IAAL

C

CarAccidentForu

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my initial question. Here is a follow up.

I have medical insurance from my work. I live in California so I have Kaiser Hospital. Each month they take a few hundred dollars out of my check to pay for my medical insurance.

So why should I pay the bill twice, once monthly through work, and now the $200 from Mercury Insurance?

The hospital will be paid twice, unless Mercury keeps the money, which I think they will do, because the Kaiser notice is a Statement and not a Bill.

Also, my 2 year old son was also in the vehicle at the time of the accident. I took him to the hospital for a checkup just like myself. He incurred similar medical bills, however Mercury Ins. company did not keep his $200 out of what they refunded me. So the question is why did they keep my $200 but not his?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">