• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical insurance while separated and divorced

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bali Hai

No more bull**** than people who refuse to be responsible for their choices.

My ex-wife didn't work through the majority of our marriage. We jointly made that decision because the extra expenses and taxes for her working would have eaten up much of the extra income

Oh I don't believe that for a NY minute. You wanted her to stay home and be a mother to you!!

and we both felt that it was better for the kids for one parent to be home. In addition to giving up her career (which will have long term impact in terms of retirement and career path), she moved to further my career.

Alimony, while very painful, attempts to reconcile the fact that we jointly made a decision for her to stay home - at considerable harm to her career. Without alimony, I would have gotten all of the benefits, but not paid any of the cost. Alimony attempts to help her to get back on her feet to something close to where she would have been otherwise.

Do I like paying her 30% of my takehome pay (plus child support on top of that)? Of course not. But is it fair? I would say so.
You were/are the classic example of why these women are getting alimony. To those reading this, don't make the same mistake, put her to work or divorce her!! The divorce rate is +50%, you have a 50% chance of paying a deadbeat for life if you don't take my advice.

mistoffolees

You were/are the classic example of why these women are getting alimony. To those reading this, don't make the same mistake, put her to work or divorce her!! The divorce rate is +50%, you have a 50% chance of paying a deadbeat for life if you don't take my advice.
Sorry, I fail to see how treating someone fairly is somehow evil.

And remember that I also participated in the decision which we both benefited from. Since we both benefited from the decision, why should I get all the benefit and her get all the pain in the event of a divorce?

Bali Hai

Sorry, I fail to see how treating someone fairly is somehow evil.

And remember that I also participated in the decision which we both benefited from. Since we both benefited from the decision, why should I get all the benefit and her get all the pain in the event of a divorce?
I really didn't expect you to see my point as it is not in keeping with the current political climate.

mistoffolees

I really didn't expect you to see my point as it is not in keeping with the current political climate.
Frankly, I couldn't care less about the current political climate. My ethics are not based on what some politician tells me.

I explained why my position is fair. What argument do you have other than being too greedy to do the right thing?

Bali Hai

Frankly, I couldn't care less about the current political climate. My ethics are not based on what some politician tells me.

I explained why my position is fair. What argument do you have other than being too greedy to do the right thing?
Your position is fair for your particular circumstances and perspective and that's fine, but don't expect others to follow your values when their situation is different. You not only wanted a wife, but also a housewife, and therfore, you made your bed and you will sleep in it. I caution others out there to think very very carefully before going down the road that you did.

The FACT is that MOST women awarded alimony fought for it and believe they should be paid when the marriage ends simply because they have a uterus. THAT is the current political climate, i.e. to get something for nothing.

Believing and expecting that someone else should pay your way through life just because you are a woman is GREED!! You see, I'm on the GIVING end of that greed, and for you to imply that I"M greedy is ABSURD!!

I suggest you read about the recent co-habitation law passed in Florida a couple of years ago and ask yourself why there was a need for that law. The pendulum will swing the other way in favor of putting a clamp on these rediculous alimony laws because it is the RIGHT thing to do!!

Last edited:

Silverplum

I see you two are having fun together.

Just stopped by to check in, make sure no one was whacking anyone upside the head or anything.

;)

Bali Hai

I see you two are having fun together.

Just stopped by to check in, make sure no one was whacking anyone upside the head or anything.

;)
LOL!!:D This guy reminds me so much of a pro-wife, man-hating divorce court judge he makes my blood boil!!

But you're right, I am having fun.:)

Silverplum

LOL!!:D This guy reminds me so much of a pro-wife, man-hating divorce court judge he makes my blood boil!!

But you're right, I am having fun.:)
At least you get reasoned replies. :cool:

When I deal with the ones that make my blood boil, I seem to just get irrational freakouts. :rolleyes: ;) :p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">