• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Malpractice - Senior

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

twistyhair

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
My mother is scheduled to appear in court (New York Civil Court) on June 30, 2010 to bring a medical malpractice suit in the case of my deceased father. She needs an attorney to represent her in this case.

While my father was an advanced senior (age 80 at time of death), he was in excellent physical condition until the time of surgery. Further, he received a job offer from New York State to be substance abuse counselor shortly after his demise.

My father had a cancer, but what apparently killed him (from the medical record) was lack of treatment for infection that occurred after the reversal of an ileostomy.

My father was discharged from the hospital 48 hours after an apparently successful procedure but was given no prophylactic care. A day after discharge, he developed a high fever. My mother called the surgeon's office and was told to simply give him aspirin and have him keep his scheduled follow up visit for Monday. He expired on Sunday.

If you are open to appearing in court, please advise how to contact and on what terms you are available. Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Silverplum

We do not provide referrals here, and no reputable attorney would troll message boards to get a client.

You can use the "Find An Attorney" feature on the right side of your screen. Or call the local Bar Association.

Good luck to your mother. :)

My mother is scheduled to appear in court (New York Civil Court) on June 30, 2010 to bring a medical malpractice suit in the case of my deceased father. She needs an attorney to represent her in this case.

While my father was an advanced senior (age 80 at time of death), he was in excellent physical condition until the time of surgery. Further, he received a job offer from New York State to be substance abuse counselor shortly after his demise.

My father had a cancer, but what apparently killed him (from the medical record) was lack of treatment for infection that occurred after the reversal of an ileostomy.

My father was discharged from the hospital 48 hours after an apparently successful procedure but was given no prophylactic care. A day after discharge, he developed a high fever. My mother called the surgeon's office and was told to simply give him aspirin and have him keep his scheduled follow up visit for Monday. He expired on Sunday.

If you are open to appearing in court, please advise how to contact and on what terms you are available. Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm sorry for your loss. This forum is not for referrals. Please follow the "Find an Attorney" link...

lya

I assume this is not calendar call but the actual hearing.?!
I suppose your mother is near the age of 80. She may not make it through what will be a confusing ordeal on June 30th, not and come out the same person and in the same mental health. She needs to be prepared for the defense to object to everything she has submitted to the court and everything she says while in court. Without extensive knowledge of the law, your mother will not be able to defend against the objections. How she will present and question her own medical expert is beyond me--if she even makes it to being allowed to present a medical expert and his/her testimony.

Your mother also needs to be prepared to pay all costs incurred by and for the defense.

This brave woman stands a very good chance of being utterly destroyed on June 30, 2010. Quite sad on its own, even more sad that it will be on top of her grief over losing her husband.

I'd like to hear back from you on this forum after her court date on June 30th. I hope to hear that she makes it through this OK.

ecmst12

Your mom's best option is to withdraw her action while she will still be able to refile at a later date after she has obtained representation. She will not be able to find a lawyer who will be ready to go to court in a week. And if she filed on her own because she couldn't find a lawyer to take the case before, she is much less likely to find one now. I'm not even a lawyer and I can spot a dozen reasons why the case is weak or otherwise not viable to pursue.

You Are Guilty

I'm fairly sure mom is just looking for an attorney to file the suit, because Civil Court is not where med mal cases are brought - they are only heard in Supreme. In which case, clicking the link suggested is the only to recommend.

violas

I am not a lawyer. I am sorry to hear about the loss of your father. I am in the nursing profession. The fact is that the time of death can happen at any time to anyone even if everything is done right. Your dad was 80 years old with medical problems. I'm sorry but I don't think you are going to win this case. I truly think it will be a waste of money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">