• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical neglect?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I am definately going to look into it! If it is something that can be done thru the school nurse, atleast I will know he is getting his meds on somewhat reg. basis.

CJane

suppermom57 said:
We have joint legal custody......
That's not going to matter to the school nurse... she's not going to get involved in y'all's dispute.

OP isn't listening, because clearly she came here seeking an answer that's not forthcoming. THE CHILD NEEDS TO TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY. If he's NOT BEING HARMED IN SOME TANGIBLE WAY then the court isn't going to step in, and it's NOT neglect to refuse to medicate a child for what sounds like normal allergies.

Mbarr77

CJane said:
That's not going to matter to the school nurse... she's not going to get involved in y'all's dispute.

OP isn't listening, because clearly she came here seeking an answer that's not forthcoming. THE CHILD NEEDS TO TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY. If he's NOT BEING HARMED IN SOME TANGIBLE WAY then the court isn't going to step in, and it's NOT neglect to refuse to medicate a child for what sounds like normal allergies.

I agree!! I am done trying to offer suggestions.

Thank you for ALL of your suggestions. It has nothing to do with not getting the answers that I WANT!!! I guess I was under the understanding that I had atleast the same rights with joint legal custody. I will let you know what happens with the school.

CJane

suppermom57 said:
Thank you for ALL of your suggestions. It has nothing to do with not getting the answers that I WANT!!! I guess I was under the understanding that I had atleast the same rights with joint legal custody. I will let you know what happens with the school.
You do. You have the RIGHT to parent as you see fit on your time, and he has the RIGHT to parent as he sees fit on his. A dispute over allergy meds for a teenager would fall into 'routine and minor decisions' that should be made by EACH PARENT AT THEIR DISCRETION.

Putting the poor school nurse into the middle isn't fair to anyone.

Seriously, tell your son if he feels crappy to do something about it. What's he going to do in a few years when he's an 'adult'?

ok....thanks.....
so, how would this fall? Smom taking 15 year old to gyno and putting her on birth control without speaking to father or myself?

CJane

suppermom57 said:
ok....thanks.....
so, how would this fall? Smom taking 15 year old to gyno and putting her on birth control without speaking to father or myself?
How do you know dad didn't know? Do the kids live in a state where they could walk into Planned Parenthood and get BC without ANYONE'S consent? What was the reasoning behind the pills (it's not always about sex)?

Are you just looking for ways to change custody?

No, at this point, the kids have their lives where they are. I just get so irritated at what goes on and has been going on for the last 11 years. Seems like Smom is more like the mom and I have NO say in anything !!! No, dad didn't know Smom was going to put daughter on birth control....as far as I know she isn't yet.

Sorry for venting- just very frustrated

CJane

suppermom57 said:
No, at this point, the kids have their lives where they are. I just get so irritated at what goes on and has been going on for the last 11 years. Seems like Smom is more like the mom and I have NO say in anything !!! No, dad didn't know Smom was going to put daughter on birth control....as far as I know she isn't yet.

Sorry for venting- just very frustrated
Look, if it's been 11 YEARS that you've been having these problems, they're not going to change now. No, SMom shouldn't take the child to be put on BCPs without consulting dad, but honestly... if I was the 15 year old girl,I wouldn't want dad to know. I didn't even want my dad to know when I needed to buy tampons!

And, if I was the 15 year old girl's mother, I'd just be thrilled as hell that the child went to SOMEONE to try and make sure she was protected. Yeah, I'd have 'the talk' with her... but be happy she's at least making an attempt at responsibility.

Mbarr77

suppermom57 said:
I am definately going to look into it! If it is something that can be done thru the school nurse, atleast I will know he is getting his meds on somewhat reg. basis.

If you are going to ask the school nurse about the medicine, I would not even bring up the father. Just get the doctor to write something saying it has to be given to the child at a particular time during the day (preferably during lunch) so it does not have to interfere with class. And leave it at that!

Daughter DIDN'T go to Smom. Smom took her because she thinks she is sexually active. Yes, your right, after 11 years I do realize it's not going to change and I should of done something right away. But, I gave the benefit of the doubt.
Can I ask if your a divorce lawyer?

Mbarr77

suppermom57 said:
That's what I thought....thanks.
ACtually, just because CJane is not a lawyer does not mean that she does not know what she is talking about. There are alot of people that post on this forum that are not lawyers that give very sound legal advice. So, I wouldn't be so quick to jump to criticize.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">