• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medication while on probation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Heather2

What is the name of your state?Texas

Today I went to see my PO and she told me that I have to take my meds. I want to stop taking them because when you take medication you have to have a special PO and I have to go see her twice a month every other month, once on the second month and have home visits. My old PO only had me come in once a month with no home visits. Can she really force me to take them?

In my probation paperwork it says nothing about having to take medication but she told me that I would be in violation of my probation if I stopped taking them.

I've already stopped taking one of my meds. Do they drug test you to make sure you are taking your meds?

I'm going to try to get a letter from my dr. but I doubt she will agree to take me off my meds.

Also, can anyone tell me what they do when you have a home visit? Do they just ask questions or will they search my whole apartment?

-Heather

rmet4nzkx

tyson-bird said:
What is the name of your state?Texas

Today I went to see my PO and she told me that I have to take my meds. I want to stop taking them because when you take medication you have to have a special PO and I have to go see her twice a month every other month, once on the second month and have home visits. My old PO only had me come in once a month with no home visits. Can she really force me to take them?

In my probation paperwork it says nothing about having to take medication but she told me that I would be in violation of my probation if I stopped taking them.

I've already stopped taking one of my meds. Do they drug test you to make sure you are taking your meds?

I'm going to try to get a letter from my dr. but I doubt she will agree to take me off my meds.

Also, can anyone tell me what they do when you have a home visit? Do they just ask questions or will they search my whole apartment?

-Heather
Heather you need to cooporate with your PO. You are in this place because you were not getting or taking the correct mnedications and with your condition, there is a strong desire to not want to take medication usually when you need it most. Does your doctor know you are not taking a medication? If the doctor doesn't think you need it, that is one thing, then and only then would a letter work but it would have to be addressed to the court. Your reason for not wanting to take your medication indicates that you still need it. Please contact your psychiatrist to discuss this, today, don't wait until your next appointment. Your recent posts make me think you may need some some extra help now. Remember this is a lifelong condition that wil not go away just because you complete probation. I wish you well and have a happy holiday.

Zephyr

if your dr doesn't think it's a good idea for you to go of your meds, then don't do it, remember the dr is the one with the 150k education, when it comes to meds trust her opinion

they should not totally search your place when they come, s/he will probably come in, sit down with you and do you normal po meeting in your home rather than the office.

Heather2

rmet4nzkx said:
Heather you need to cooporate with your PO. You are in this place because you were not getting or taking the correct mnedications and with your condition, there is a strong desire to not want to take medication usually when you need it most. Does your doctor know you are not taking a medication? If the doctor doesn't think you need it, that is one thing, then and only then would a letter work but it would have to be addressed to the court. Your reason for not wanting to take your medication indicates that you still need it. Please contact your psychiatrist to discuss this, today, don't wait until your next appointment. Your recent posts make me think you may need some some extra help now. Remember this is a lifelong condition that wil not go away just because you complete probation. I wish you well and have a happy holiday.
Problem is when I'm ready to get a job I don't think they would be understanding of me needing to leave early or take a long lunch 3 times a month. You have a happy holiday too.

Zephyr

tyson-bird said:
Problem is when I'm ready to get a job I don't think they would be understanding of me needing to leave early or take a long lunch 3 times a month. You have a happy holiday too.
your po will accomodate your work schedule

Heather2

Zephyr said:
your po will accomodate your work schedule
Even if she schedules my appointment with her the same day I have a dr. appointment I would still have to miss twice a month. It's hard enough finding a job with a record let alone having to miss work twice a month. Thanks for your help though.

Zephyr

tyson-bird said:
Even if she schedules my appointment with her the same day I have a dr. appointment I would still have to miss twice a month. It's hard enough finding a job with a record let alone having to miss work twice a month. Thanks for your help though.

ok stop with the defeatist stuff, your po WANTS you to have a job, it's likely part of your probation, with what ever job you get you will have a certain number of days off per week which you will know in advance, your po will work with you on getting your appointments set so as to least disrupt your work, even if you are doing m-f 8-5 you will still have lunch breaks in which to get things done.

Heather2

Zephyr said:
ok stop with the defeatist stuff, your po WANTS you to have a job, it's likely part of your probation, with what ever job you get you will have a certain number of days off per week which you will know in advance, your po will work with you on getting your appointments set so as to least disrupt your work, even if you are doing m-f 8-5 you will still have lunch breaks in which to get things done.
Chill out!!!
I'm on disability right now so I don't have to have a job. But I want one and plan to get one when I'm done with my community service. The things I'm skilled in are 9-5 jobs which is when they are open. I realize that I can take a long lunch (which if you've ever been to see a PO you would realize is a very long wait). But again, how would you feel if you were an employer and I just started and told you I had to leave early or take a long lunch 2-3 times a month. I bet you wouldn't hire me or if you did, keep me.

Nevermind, I will just go 3 times a month. And if I don't want to take my meds I won't. It's my body. I will just tell my dr. I am. The pills are making me gain weight which is unexceptable to me.

Labtec600

Then dont.

Dont take your meds. Violate the terms, get locked up.

Your employer WILL KNOW you're on probation. Your PO will let them KNOW what you have to do. You WILL be able to leave!

Why is something so simple as taking a forkin pill worth the hassle and the risk of going to jail?????

You're making excuses.

Heather2

Labtec600 said:
Then dont.

Dont take your meds. Violate the terms, get locked up.

Your employer WILL KNOW you're on probation. Your PO will let them KNOW what you have to do. You WILL be able to leave!

Why is something so simple as taking a forkin pill worth the hassle and the risk of going to jail?????

You're making excuses.
No, it's not worth going to jail. :(
I just don't think it is fair for them to force me to take medication. It's my freakin' body. The side effects suck. If that was one of the conditions of probation they should have told me. I was doing fine with the conditions of probation and paying fines, etc. As a reward now I have to see them more and have someone come to my house. Sorry if it seems I'm making excuses but I disagree with you there.

I see I'm gonna lose at this battle so I will just talk to my doctor about discontinuing the one that is causing the bad side effects.

Thanks for your imput.

bsokee

tyson-bird said:
No, it's not worth going to jail. :(
I just don't think it is fair for them to force me to take medication. It's my freakin' body. The side effects suck. If that was one of the conditions of probation they should have told me. I was doing fine with the conditions of probation and paying fines, etc. As a reward now I have to see them more and have someone come to my house. Sorry if it seems I'm making excuses but I disagree with you there.

I see I'm gonna lose at this battle so I will just talk to my doctor about discontinuing the one that is causing the bad side effects.

Thanks for your imput.
I'm praying for you, tyson-bird, so you listen to your doctor & do what you both consider is for the best for you! If you need to talk, you know where to find me. Merry Christmas!

Heather2

bsokee said:
I'm praying for you, tyson-bird, so you listen to your doctor & do what you both consider is for the best for you! If you need to talk, you know where to find me. Merry Christmas!
Thanks bsokee. Merry Christmas to you too!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">