• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Meetings in Excess of 8 Hours

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

graceous

I live in California and work 24 hours part time for a large company. I work sometimes remotely and sometimes in office., but more at work site. I am scheduled to work 8 hours a day, 3 days a week, and 2 days of the week my time starts at 12:30 pm. My manager wants me to attend meetings online, sometimes as short as 10 minutes, sometimes more, outside of my normally-scheduled work time. So, I need to interrupt my off time for a short meeting. I read somewhere that I should be paid 2 hours for just signing in for work, but the national Ask HR is saying no. First of all, am I right about this? And, if so, can someone guide me to a reference in the actual Labor Laws that would support this? Thank you!

graceous

Thank you! I am an hourly employee. This is what my employer stated and it looks like if I attend a meeting before my 8 hours starts there is no additional compensation, but if there was additional time after a break over 8 hours I would get fairly compensated. I was just hoping that California Labor Laws, which are more stringent than Federal laws, would compensate me more than 10 minutes for interrupting my mornings before work to attend a meeting.

PayrollHRGuy

Thank you! I am an hourly employee. This is what my employer stated and it looks like if I attend a meeting before my 8 hours starts there is no additional compensation, but if there was additional time after a break over 8 hours I would get fairly compensated. I was just hoping that California Labor Laws, which are more stringent than Federal laws, would compensate me more than 10 minutes for interrupting my mornings before work to attend a meeting.
I don't believe you read the link I posted very well. There should be compensation fo any time worked and in many cases, that time worked will trigger either OT or additional pay for a call in.

FarmerJ

Your employer is full of them self all time doing task related to your job is considered work and that must be paid for SO if there is a meeting at 10a it doesnt matter if its 10 min or one hour you are to be paid and you could consider refusing to attend and when asked smile and remind them that you have been told the meetings before your work schedule would not be paid so i fail to understand why I would be in trouble for not working off the clock ! and the other thing is if your meetings are done via you using the phone you pay for you can respond to any complaint that you were in a area where signal is bad and there is nothing you can do about it . ( this is the same kind of crap some employers pulled in recent years with easy electronic connections to staff 24 7 and expecting staff to reply to text and emails and calls while they were at home, on vacation , etc )

LdiJ

Your employer is full of them self all time doing task related to your job is considered work and that must be paid for SO if there is a meeting at 10a it doesnt matter if its 10 min or one hour you are to be paid and you could consider refusing to attend and when asked smile and remind them that you have been told the meetings before your work schedule would not be paid so i fail to understand why I would be in trouble for not working off the clock ! and the other thing is if your meetings are done via you using the phone you pay for you can respond to any complaint that you were in a area where signal is bad and there is nothing you can do about it . ( this is the same kind of crap some employers pulled in recent years with easy electronic connections to staff 24 7 and expecting staff to reply to text and emails and calls while they were at home, on vacation , etc )
I see that happening as well. However, for the most point I don't mind making a quick response to a text. However, I don't check my email even on a daily basis, so the one time I got emailed I didn't see it until days later.

eerelations

I worked in HR for 30+ years. Whenever I went on vacation, my employers always required me to provide the names, address(es) and phone number(s) of the hotel(s) I was staying at while away. In later years I was also required to check/respond to my work emails at least once per day while on vacation. When not on vacation, I received at least three phone calls per week at home from my employers.

(I just love it that most employers consider HR to be a useless drain on revenues, but hey! When you're not there, they can't effing live without you!)

In fact, when I retired, the CEO and the COO (my boss) called me at least twice a week for four months after my LDW - even though I didn't work there anymore! And even though I'd hired a replacement who was not only way more qualified than me but also who they thought was a great guy! WTF?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">