• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Men coming in while a woman is cleaning the men's rm. Is this harrassment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Sure about that? The restroom was closed for cleaning. Apparently company management has advised employees to stay out of the restroom while she is cleaning it. Are you such an uncouth person that you would stand at a urinal and urinate while a janitorial employee (male or female) was attempting to clean the restroom? REALLY?

HE's an ADULT and HE can hold it until the restroom is clean. They've offered OP the opportunity to clean another facility. OP - I suggest you take them up on it.
Might be interesting to try it! I'm still wondering how she didn't know he was there when he pushed past her...

And FTR... I have used multi-gender restrooms while folk of the opposite gender were in there. No big deal. Really. Penii don't upset me that much.

I agree the sign specifically outlining the restroom is closed creates an obligation on the male requiring its use, to negotiate with the cleaner for permission. I don't know that it rises to the level of sexual harassment. I have used mens rooms in Mexico, while they were being cleaned by woman. There was no sign regarding any special status for the room or the cleaner. The cleaner did not object or feel a need to run out screaming.
This is not Mexico.

Might be interesting to try it! I'm still wondering how she didn't know he was there when he pushed past her...

And FTR... I have used multi-gender restrooms while folk of the opposite gender were in there. No big deal. Really. Penii don't upset me that much.
Good for you, but you may notice that I said male or female. This is an issue of respect of position and work duties more than one of sexual harassment. Have you ever had a housekeeping service clean your home? If yes, would you ever DREAM of going in and using the bathroom while one of your maids was cleaning it? Of course not. It is no different in the workplace. When a janitorial employee is cleaning a restroom the polite thing to do is to hold it or use another restroom in the building until they are finished.

As to OP's sexual harassment case. Probably not. The employer offered the solution of transferring her to another facility and has apparently been proactive in addressing her complaints. The male employee's responses to this are, of course, outrageous, but unless the transfer poses an undue hardship this remains OP's best option for getting on with life.

redwingnut25

The bit about the spelling was a little sarcasm aimed at the poster who clearly did not throughly read your post. Didn't you say that your employer offered to move you to another facility? That should resolve the problem for you.
Not really, I'll have to start all over with hours, days off, vacation, etc...

redwingnut25

She did not indicate the sign said "closed for cleaning". It could have said "wet floor" for all we know.
That would be funny! But it does state "closed for cleaning". All upper case letters. Big yellow sign, large black lettering. Also for the person who doesn't understand how I didn't know the man was at the urinal, when he walked past me, that was two different men and separate incidences. Read it again.

redwingnut25

Won't you be working for the same company? Why will you be starting from scratch?[/QUOTEI

I worked a part time, and during a certain time frame, it's a second job, and people with more seniority, and full time always take open spots as soon as they become available. I work during the day, and am not as flexible with my hours.

redwingnut25

Won't you be working for the same company? Why will you be starting from scratch?[/QUOTEI

I part time during a certain time frame, it's a second job, and people with more seniority, who are full time always take the open spots as soon as they become available. I work during the day, and am not as flexible with my hours. If I'm lucky to get a spot (like they say) it might only be 1 or 2 hour a week, as opposed to the 15 hrs. I would be leaving...

redwingnut25

I work part time during and a certain time frame, it's a second job, and people with more seniority, who are full time always take the open spots as soon as they become available. I work during the day, and am not as flexible with my hours. If I'm lucky to get a spot (like they say) it might only be 1 or 2 hour a week, as opposed to the 15 hrs. I would be leaving...

I work part time during and a certain time frame, it's a second job, and people with more seniority, who are full time always take the open spots as soon as they become available. I work during the day, and am not as flexible with my hours. If I'm lucky to get a spot (like they say) it might only be 1 or 2 hour a week, as opposed to the 15 hrs. I would be leaving...
In that case there is a material change in employment so you should consult with some lawyers that specialize in employee representation - employment law to see whether or not you have a case. Continue to complain to management and keep a journal of every instance of harassment and retaliation.

OHRoadwarrior

That would be funny! But it does state "closed for cleaning". All upper case letters. Big yellow sign, large black lettering. Also for the person who doesn't understand how I didn't know the man was at the urinal, when he walked past me, that was two different men and separate incidences. Read it again.
I was responding to the critic of another, not you. Sorry I confused you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm not seeing this as sexual harassment. I agree you have a problem, but I don't think SH is what it is.

I'm not seeing this as sexual harassment. I agree you have a problem, but I don't think SH is what it is.
It is close to sexual harassment with a hint of being a hostile work environment. The real problem comes in when OP made the complaints, the workers were notified and some retaliated. If the employer fails to properly investigate the instances of retaliation and take appropriate disciplinary measures so OP can clean bathrooms in peace they could find themselves in some hot water.

swalsh411

So you're cleaning the bathroom and people are coming in and using the bathroom for the intended purpose? I hate to tell you this, but if I have to go, I don't care who is in the bathroom cleaning, I'm gonna go.

So you're cleaning the bathroom and people are coming in and using the bathroom for the intended purpose? I hate to tell you this, but if I have to go, I don't care who is in the bathroom cleaning, I'm gonna go.
You probably also chew with your mouth open, smack your food and don't hold doors for those entering behind you.

You SERIOUSLY would walk in on your housekeeper cleaning your bathroom and use it right in front of her?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">