• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

meter reader nightmare

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thejude

this kind of attitude is probably why the guy took the meter rather than allowing you to pay.

Is it dark in Your part of Georgia yet? Was it hot today? Bet that AC should would be nice right about now.
all my candles have melted down, and i haven't even lit them yet. :p

thejude

meter reader

I'm sure it's dark in Georgia, it's dark in Bama right now. ;) As far as hot, you can survive with fans (if you pay your power bill) but give it a couple of days... especially since we've (southerners) had all this rain and the humidity tends to hang around longer and makes the heat less likely to dissipate....
i have my power on. had the money, just let the time slip. i tried to out-race him by trying to pay by phone while he was fiddling with the meter, but i lost.

been nice and cool down here so far huh? maybe ga and al will relax our water war over the hooch like last year. wish it would stay like this all summer.

cosine

"lots of fire trucks" LOL. yes, i suppose everyone has a good meter story. LOL
These things really can be very dangerous. YouTube - Electrical Fire

I was mugged several years ago, hit in the head with a rock, and i saved the rock for finger printing (i thought). so, there i go into the police station with my rock and started to hand it to one of the detectives. he looked at the rock, then at his buddy, snickered, and continued with his questioning.
Unless it was a smoothed stone, fingerprints are not going to be very likely to get.

so, let me ask you, do you think it's possible that a power company might try to raise revenue in this way? it doesn't seem they would be affected by the down turn in the economy as many other companies. gotta have juice.
I doubt there is a systematic revenue raising process going on. They are trying to discourage people from tampering with meters. That kind of activity does go on a lot. But since it is classified as a "fine" (so you say they say) it should be disputable. That might not be easy to dispute. Having a copy of the police complaint might help show it. Filing a false police report is itself a crime. So if nothing else, this shows you are willing to put your position on the line regarding this.

Next step is a complaint to the appropriate agency in your state that deals with utility affairs ("Public Utility Commission" in many states). Also, check the web site of the power company for a "tariffs" document. Most (but not all) power companies now have these online. Rates and fees should be listed there. If not online, your state's PUC or equivalent should have a copy or tell you where to get a copy. See what it says about the tampering "fines".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">