• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MI-Liable for accidents?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

divona2000

What is the name of your state? MI

I have an unusual situation, the acreage my home sits on runs along one side of a curved blacktop road. The road easement is 66', with an additional 25' front setback. In this county snowmobile are allowed to run on the road edge and ditch (part of the easement). Once an out-of-control snowmobile went almost 75' off the road and crashed into my woods. Zoning laws don't allow me to put up a fence on my property edge, but only 25' back from the road edge (the setback). In addition, every winter between two and five vehicles manage to miss the guardrail and crash into my woods. Sometimes several at the same time! Basically all of these accidents are happening on my property, not in the road easement. No one has been seriously hurt (yet) but there is always a parade of police cars, firetrucks, tow trucks and ambulances every winter (and yes, I must sheepishly admit this has at times been quite entertaining-since injuries have been minor, and cranky drivers showing up to use my phone have been many).
I am afraid to ask my homeowners insurance company this question for fear they might cancel my policy...but could I be held libel in any way for injuries suffered by these "accidental" trespassers, since most of the vehicles end up on my land?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">