• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Military Pay and CS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

qurice

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Hi all. It's been a while since I posted. Good to see all the same folks still around answering questions :)

I'm now active duty in the Army and currently my CS obligation is being garnished and paid to CSE just fine and no problem there. I'm thinking my ex might ask for a review once I go on my first deployment.

First, my wife has a general POA that we had done at legal on post before I PCSed. She stayed behind and hasn't moved yet to my duty station. With me out of state, is that POA enough for her to be able to appear on my behalf to any meetings with CSE?

Also, I'm wondering what portions of my pay are included for the CS calculation? Base pay obviously, but what about separation pay, BAH, BAS, COLA, hazard, and hardship pay? Should they include my clothing allowances too?

Thanks everyone!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
A POA does NOT make her an attorney so she CAN NOT represent you for legal purposes. She can hire an attorney to represent you. COLA is most likely included.

qurice

Well I realize she wouldn't represent me like a lawyer, but would it allow her to get info about the case from CSE? and maybe take paperwork to the legal office on post on my behalf?

Normally they don't talk to her because she's not party to the order.

Isis1

Well I realize she wouldn't represent me like a lawyer, but would it allow her to get info about the case from CSE? and maybe take paperwork to the legal office on post on my behalf?

Normally they don't talk to her because she's not party to the order.
Only an attorney can do what you are asking. Aside from the actual parties. The POA still doesn't do that for her.

mistoffolees

Only an attorney can do what you are asking. Aside from the actual parties. The POA still doesn't do that for her.
About all she can do is pick up the forms that he'll need to submit and send them to him. However, since those forms are probably available online, that's not much of a help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">