• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor Dog Bite in MN

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HelpinMN

To start off I live in Minnesota. Tonight my wife went to take out dog out (a 25 lb sheba inu/terrier mix) shortly after dark. While she had him out, on a leash, a group of kids walked by. I wasnt there but she said they were quiet so she didnt hear them at first. When two of them walked directly behind her it must have spooked the dog and he turned around and jumped on one of them. He bit one of them on the inside of his arm (we are not entirely sure if he bit down or just had his mouth open and got it hooked on the kids arm because that occationally happens to us when we are playing with him) he left one small puncture on the inside of his elbow and a scratch on the outside. The puncture was not deep but did bleed for about 2 min. We walked the kid home (his dad works nights so he was being watched by a daycare/friend I'm not exactly sure which) and talked to the people there. We then went home and reported the bite to the police. The officer told us that he had called the father on his way to our house and the father was mostly concerned if the dog had his shots and if he should take the kid to the hospital. Our dog has never bitten anyone before and is totally up to date on his shots. My question is, how liable am I? The kid was not batly hurt. We do have renters insurance but I'm still a little nervous. Is this the type of injury someone could/would sue over? My wife and I feel really bad about this, she spent most of the night sobbing. Is this something that we should just take them out to dinner over to say were sorry or should we actually be concerned and talk to a lawyer? We are new to the area so we really don't know the people.

shortbus

Yes, you're liable. But everything depends on whether the other family wants to make a big thing about it. Minimally, you should offer to pay for the medical expenses & property damage (torn clothing perhaps?) caused by the bite.

HelpinMN

re

I figured I was liable but realistically should I worry about getting sued? There will likely be no medical bills because it was just a tiny puncture (my wife got a paper cut at work today that likely caused more damage). And there was no property damage (clothes). We are not even entirely sure that it was an attack because after he did it he wanted to play, and my wife and I were talking it over and based on the wound (a puncture on the upper inside and a small scratch on the upper outside) it looks like he could have just jumped on him and snagged a tooth because he always has his mouth wide open. He has done this several times to my wife and I. The wound on the child was not in a place where it could have been a defensive wound because it was the arm that was on the side of the dog as he walked by, so he likely had his arm out to his side when the dog jumped on it.

Happy Trails

HelpinMN said:
I figured I was liable but realistically should I worry about getting sued? There will likely be no medical bills because it was just a tiny puncture (my wife got a paper cut at work today that likely caused more damage). And there was no property damage (clothes). We are not even entirely sure that it was an attack because after he did it he wanted to play, and my wife and I were talking it over and based on the wound (a puncture on the upper inside and a small scratch on the upper outside) it looks like he could have just jumped on him and snagged a tooth because he always has his mouth wide open. He has done this several times to my wife and I. The wound on the child was not in a place where it could have been a defensive wound because it was the arm that was on the side of the dog as he walked by, so he likely had his arm out to his side when the dog jumped on it.
They could seek money for medical bills, future medical treatments, psychological counseling, pain and suffering and disfigurement.

No one can guess on what they might do.

You should notify your insurance company.

I'd tell you not to worry about this, but you probably will anyway. Not everyone is sue happy and worrying about it isn't going to change the outcome.

HelpinMN

re

I called my insurance agent this morning and he said I was covered to like $100,000 and I should be fine. But im still worried, they can't make me put my dog down can they? He is a good dog and not aggressive at all, my wife said that the kids walked within 2 feet of him in the dark and he cannot see very well at all in the dark (we laugh at him all the time because he runs into walls if we turn the lights out on him) and they were quiet enough to suprise him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">