• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minors counsel fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

h2o_friendly

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right area but I just went to court yesterday and with the help of the court appointed minors counsel, my ex and I were able to form an agreement and make it a court order without hgoung in front of the judge. The very first time we went to court, the judge appointed the minors counsel and we were told to pay $200 for his services. We signed no contract wig the counsel but each party paid the $ 200. But just today, I get a bill statement in the mail saying each party now owes $550 for the total services he provided which we were unaware of til now. I am unemployed and even needed to borrow the $200 from my parents. What can happen if I cannot pay that money? The judge made us think all it would cost was $200 per party, not $750.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right area but I just went to court yesterday and with the help of the court appointed minors counsel, my ex and I were able to form an agreement and make it a court order without hgoung in front of the judge. The very first time we went to court, the judge appointed the minors counsel and we were told to pay $200 for his services. We signed no contract wig the counsel but each party paid the $ 200. But just today, I get a bill statement in the mail saying each party now owes $550 for the total services he provided which we were unaware of til now. I am unemployed and even needed to borrow the $200 from my parents. What can happen if I cannot pay that money? The judge made us think all it would cost was $200 per party, not $750.
So you each owe $550 or the bill was $550 total? What exactly did the judge state? Most likely you will be ORDERED by the court to pay the entire fees in a 50/50 arrangement and therefore if you don't, you could be found in contempt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">