• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misrepresentation of apt due to dummy thermostat?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Since you moved away part of it is not your problem any more, if the LL re rents the unit it is between LL / new tenant and city inspections . NOW about your visit from inspections get them to put it on paper the finding about the heating system and get a copy for your records to take to court with you if it comes to that , you will need to prove to the court that inspections said no one can live there so you want that in writting from inspections too . See if you can get a print out of the homes permit history so you can show the court no permit was filed for the heating system install. save those text on the phone too. If you have to sue for deposit refund use the recomendation that you move from the city as well as its written finding about the heat as basis that the unit was not fit to live in so you are owed full refund, If LL attempts to unfairly hold funds or sue you for unpaid rent add your pics, letter copies along with inspections reports and lack of permit history to defend you.
Thank you.

I'm a little frazzled by this as we have constantly tried to just end this peacefully and cleanly yet he keeps dragging this on.

We left the property clean, sent him pictures of how we left it (as he did not contact us for a walkthrough), and said we are considering the matter closed... we left a forwarding address for our deposit, too.

He actually sent a txt message to us in a somewhat threatening tone, stating that he thinks the house we are moving into (girlfriend's grandmother's.. which we ended up not doing) was an illegal 2 family, and that we are "messing with fire" and "stop harassing him"

this guy is driving me crazy.

FarmerJ

Let him think what he wants , let him call city and make all kinds of stink , If they show up no matter where you live legal unit or not I would argue you dont have to let them in if its a complaint from a non resident. Make sure you put in a change of address card and say nothing about your deposit until the time comes that the wait for it is beyond reasonable acording to your states laws and file in small claims for it and have all your proofs in order for court. Your copies of inspections findings will have alot of weight in court( especially if you can get that inspector to put the recomendation to move out in writting and dont stand for any wishy washy excuse from them about not giving you copies of the report even if you have to pay a copy fee , its supposed to be public info.

Let him think what he wants , let him call city and make all kinds of stink , If they show up no matter where you live legal unit or not I would argue you dont have to let them in if its a complaint from a non resident. Make sure you put in a change of address card and say nothing about your deposit until the time comes that the wait for it is beyond reasonable acording to your states laws and file in small claims for it and have all your proofs in order for court. Your copies of inspections findings will have alot of weight in court( especially if you can get that inspector to put the recomendation to move out in writting and dont stand for any wishy washy excuse from them about not giving you copies of the report even if you have to pay a copy fee , its supposed to be public info.
Thank you, again :)

The buildings dept didn't actually condemn the place, but we had notified them that we were moving out anyway and wanted them to stop by so the LL won't screw someone else over, and maybe to see any other issues (as there is an overcrowding problem in the other unit as well as too many unregistered cars on the property.. from the other unit as well). Buildings dept agreed that we should move and shouldn't have a problem... but they did not condemn it.

They did say that we can call and get anything that could help us if we want... so we are calling tomorrow and asking for them to give us anything they can.. permits, documents, complaints, etc. They did take pictures of the furnace before they left and agreed that the LL is trying to scam us, as the furnace had 0 zones and had all the wires cut.

He thinks we were moving into my girlfirend's grandmother's because when he said he was selling the house we said great because we may have a hard time coming up with the money (which is NOT true, we just were pushing him forward in hopes he would break our lease early due to house selling as the new owners would want us out anyway and that was OK with us). We actually did move into another apartment but I did not give him the address... I don't know what this guy would try to pull.

FarmerJ

Go get a post office box, this way you can put in a change of address card and if he does send you a deposit disposition with in a reasonable time it will go there. BTW PO box will be private and can be used later on if you have to challenge him for deposit, Even if city didnt condemn the unit if you can get them to put the recomendation telling you that you should move in writting I still think it will carry some weight in court even though there was no formal condemnation.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">