• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Missed Court California Need Advice Please!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hieronymus

I am from California.

Several months ago I was issued a $300 dollar ticket for "Blocking An Intersection"
I was polite and did not argue. I just signed and said "Thank You Officer" In my mind
however, I planned to challenge the ticket. Apart from being behind the crosswalk, there was even another car behind me, IN the intersection.

I believe that my car which has just been bought 2 days prior, attracted the attention of the officer.

After asking owners of stores in the area, I was told that the officer stays there all day and issues tickets "non-stop"

The gas station that the officer hid in had even called the police station more than once complaining about the officer's behavior.

When the court date was drawing near, I was short on money, and realized that it would be the cop's word against mine. I could not afford to pay the $300 dollars. The clerk suggested that I extend, So I did.

Fast forward 2 months.

I forgot about the court date completely. I was on a business trip in the Philippines for a month +1 week. (My uncle gave me a job making movie props)

When I realized I was supposed to be in court, I called the clerks office, said I was out of country and asked what I should do. I was told that there was nothing I could do and I would have to come to the court house or to a police station once I got back. And that I would probably have an arrest warrant out on me.

I am now back, and I'm honestly very worried and unsure of what I should do next.

Because I have missed that extension date, the state has changed my fee to $800, which I certainly do not have. All of my money goes into keeping my house right now.

If I go to the clerks office, and say "Hello, I was out of town and missed a court date." Will they just reschedule me for a new court date??

I'm scared they will say "You must pay X amount of money now or you will be arrested."

Or that they will hold me and put me in court, where the judge will sentence me to something insane.

I had a court date, I didn't show up, I haven't payed my ticket. I want to fix it, but I don't have the money and I'm afraid I will be arrested.

I realized I messed up, I'm not trying to get out of anything. I just hoped there was a police officer, or a judge or lawyer out there who could help me understand this better so I don't do something even worse.

Can anyone tell me what route I should take??

Thanks for any advice.

The Occultist

You need to go and turn yourself in. Make sure to bring enough money to post bail. Bringing a lawyer with you will yield the most potential in creating the most favorable outcome for the situation you have put yourself into.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And, make sure that you are completely out of the intersection when you stop next time. ;)

I_Got_Banned

Time for a different opinion...
Traffic courts in California rarely issue warrants for simple traffic infractions. Unless you have more than one "Failure To Appear" with the same court or unless the violation was a misdemeanor, then your citation is referred to a collection agency.
You can contact the traffic clerk at the court where your citation is being handled to confirm this information.
Your next step after confirming that no warrant has been issued is to go to court & look for the window where the collection agency matters are being handled. Upon your request, an employee from the collection agency will reschedule a court appearance for you.
This step will save you a couple of hundred bucks because now you've eliminated the role of the collection agency and in turn eliminated the fee that goes directly to them. However, you still owe the fine amount (assuming you are found guilty) as well as an additional fine amount for your failing to appear on or before your scheduled extension date which typically is not dismissed for an "I was out if the country" excuse.
Please post back when you find out if I'm right or wrong.

Zigner

Time for a different opinion...
Traffic courts in California rarely issue warrants for simple traffic infractions. Unless you have more than one "Failure To Appear" with the same court or unless the violation was a misdemeanor, then your citation is referred to a collection agency.
You can contact the traffic clerk at the court where your citation is being handled to confirm this information.
Your next step after confirming that no warrant has been issued is to go to court & look for the window where the collection agency matters are being handled. Upon your request, an employee from the collection agency will reschedule a court appearance for you.
This step will save you a couple of hundred bucks because now you've eliminated the role of the collection agency and in turn eliminated the fee that goes directly to them. However, you still owe the fine amount (assuming you are found guilty) as well as an additional fine amount for your failing to appear on or before your scheduled extension date which typically is not dismissed for an "I was out if the country" excuse.
Please post back when you find out if I'm right or wrong.
Care to back this up?

racer72

My BIL received a speeding ticket (47 in a 40) in Chino, California. He returned to his home in Washington and chose to ignore the ticket. 9 months later he was pulled over by the Washingon State Patrol and was arrested on a warrant for the unpaid ticket. He spent 14 days in jail before the city of Chino decided they would not extradite.

Zigner

My BIL received a speeding ticket (47 in a 40) in Chino, California. He returned to his home in Washington and chose to ignore the ticket. 9 months later he was pulled over by the Washingon State Patrol and was arrested on a warrant for the unpaid ticket. He spent 14 days in jail before the city of Chino decided they would not extradite.
Impossible I say! California rarely issues warrants for FTA's! ;)

hieronymus

Update

Thanks for the replies everyone!!

As I said before, I was out of the country for a little over a month.

Today I got my mail from the post office, a big box of it.

In the box was a beautiful yellow letter from the Superior Court of Los Angeles.

"As a result of your failure to appear, the court has placed a hold on your driver's license with the DMV......A fine of $300 was added.... blah blah"

This paper states I need to pay a citation, and a fee was added. And my punishment for not appearing in court is the hold on my license. That's it! (I Got Banned was right)

I have another copy of this exact paper stapled to my ticket already.

All I did last time was talk to my pal at the clerks office, get a $10 dollar abatement fee to fix my license so I could keep driving, and reschedule my court date for 2 months away.

Guess I'll go visit my friend again.

=)

It feels really good knowing that all the gloom and doom people out there saying I'm going to be arrested are dead WRONG.

Thanks all.

P.S. though..

I'm supposed to be moving out of the US in early December.. I was born here and it will always be home, and I plan to come back. Hopefully with full pockets. (the whole reason I was out of country was that I was getting a job ready)

Would it be wrong to pay off the ticket when I get back in like a year or two??

Again, I don't want to break the law.

Any thoughts?

Would it be wrong to pay off the ticket when I get back in like a year or two??

Dood! Are you serious? I'm laughing so hard at reading this, I can hardly type!!!

You already got off the hook, why are you pressing buttons here? Pay the damn thing before you leave.

If that was just a joke, I do appreciate the humor. :p

I_Got_Banned

"As a result of your failure to appear, the court has placed a hold on your driver's license with the DMV......A fine of $300 was added.... blah blah"

This paper states I need to pay a citation, and a fee was added. And my punishment for not appearing in court is the hold on my license. That's it! (I Got Banned was right)
Thank you for coming back and posting the outcome.

And like OldandTired said, count your blessings & be thankful. Pay the fine now because what if you come back, forget that your license is suspended, get in a car and get puilled over, now you'll have the original citation to pay but you'll also have a misdemeanor charge of driving on a suspended license. That charge, for sure, does carry some jail time as well as a BIG fine!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">